Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inverter Repair

Mike,
    You bring up a good question (and I realize that different converters wire inverters differently): Can inverters be easily SWITCHED if one goes out?
    Having a spare inverter is a good feature; but, what restrictions are placed on the appliances that were run by the #2 inverter?

How do Liberty, Marathon, CC, and any others handle this?

Also, can you switch over to gen/shore power when an inverter fails assuming that the converter has not wired it so that it can be switched to the #2 inverter?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Cool

My experience when sending anything to xantrex is the board is always bad. This is my bad, but when I recieved the unit back it acted the same way. Turns out the common in the generator to the wiring harness had corroded and was bad. A new connecting block solved the problem. I would like to believe the board was bad but I have my doubts.
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

Tuga,

I don't think it is a big deal to switch inverters. They all have 120V coming into them from your electric panel, 120V going out of them to your electric panel, and connections to your batteries, either 12VDC or 24VDC depending on how your coach is set up.

What makes a switch to a different brand somewhat difficult is the remote panel. My remote panel has a cutout for its specific size. It has wiring back to the inverter with a specific number of strands of wire and with terminals on each end.

If one of my inverters pukes I am going to try my best to either replace it with the same brand and model, or find one whose remote will fit in the space I have available and that uses the same wiring, or at least the same number of strands so I don't have to take half the coach apart to run new wiring for the remote.

I went through a lot with the refrigerator to avoid the cost and complexity of refinishing a new one and then fishing it through the windshield. Same philosophy on changing out stuff that entails hours of work when just fixing the old one ends up being a lot easier and cheaper.

Jon,

I only have one inverter/charger, so while it is being repaired I have to run my generator when the coach is moving. The alternator on the generator is charging my batteries, and I am monitoring them using the Link 2000. My engine alternator is also charging the house batteries & engine batteries. When the charging rate exceeds 13.5 volts I turn off the generator.

I am not clear on what the 2 inverters run on a Prevost. I would assume one inverter is used to run an AC unit and the other one is used for refrigerator, TVs, and 120V water pumps, auxillary air pump, etc. Am I guessing correctly?

Having a second inverter is a really nice option, IMO.

How many inverters do the major converters use?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Hi Tuga. My Coach has two 2500 watt Xantrex Freedom 25 Inverters. They run the lights, Refer, all recepticles, coffee, micro, TV's, video, satelite, water pump, air compressor & outside tv,and refer. No A/C.
    Last edited by garyde; 11-02-2008 at 08:48 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Tuga,

If your bus engine is running you should not have to run your generator. The engine driven alternator should take care of keeping your house batteries charged.

Actually the house batteries need to see about 14.2 volts or just under 14 if you have gel cell batteries.

A second inverter is a good thing because it gives you a back up charger, but also it gives you the ability to power more circuits or handle a bigger load than with a single inverter.

But just adding another is not easy in a coach set up for one. The circuits powered by the inverter need to be isolated. If you are powering circuits with a pair of inverters it is a certainty that their phases will not ever match up, so each inverter needs those circuits it powers separated from other circuits. In you case to add a second inverter you would have to decide what you want to power in addition to what you current converter already powers. Then that circuit must be isolated from all others.

Then there is the issue of by pass current when an inverter fails. I suspect your coach has circuitry that automatically by-passes a failed or missing inverter. The second inverter needs the same circuitry. To add a second inverter could get expensive. Having sait that there is one way you could add a second so you have back up.

Connect the two inverters such that only one can be powered at a time, Use the second as a standby, and when you want to bring it on line you flip some switches set up specifically to take one off line while the second comes on line.

Gary,

It seems your second inverter powers more "stuff". I don't have an outside TV, refrigerator, etc. My single inverter powers the other appliances that you mention although I really don't use the microwave with inverter power, I just start the generator if it is going to be used for more than 60 seconds. Thanks.

Jon,

I run the generator to keep the refrigerator on; no inverter - no Amana! The engine alternator (190 or 200 amp) keeps the batteries charged just fine. The problem is I'm afraid they are being charged too much with the generator alternator. I know that the engine alternator has a voltage regulator, but I am not sure that the generator alternator (35 amp) has one.
    I do have AGM 8D batteries (8 in all; 6 house & 2 engine & generator). I haven't allowed the charge rate to exceed 13.4v so it sounds like I am good as long as I stay under 14v.

I am very happy with one inverter/charger; I don't want to add a second one. I was just curious as to WHAT the second inverter ran in the Prevosts. I think that Gary has answered that. I really don't know what else I could run with a second inverter Presently, my microwave, coffee pot, TVs, 120v water pump, satellite receiver, VCR/CD, and a few receptacles run off of the 2500 Heart inverter.

Regarding the automatic bypass when the inverter fails; I just disconnect an electric plug from the INVERTER outlet (where it stays plugged in all the time) to the GENERATOR outlet which allows power to flow to all of the above appliances. It is a very simple system. The refrigerator and other appliances all will then operate on gen or shore power.

As an aside, I have noticed that when using a small electric fan at night the fan will speed up and then slow down. What's up with that?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

With AGM batteries they typically get a bulk and absorption charge of about 14.2 to 14.4 before getting the float charge of about 13.7.

Until you get your inverter repaired or replaced I don't see a problem with how you are doing it, or with letting your generator run as long as you want. I don't think your generator alternator will do any harm.

Not enough information to answer the question about the fan. If it is run via 120 VAC I would say the cycles or frequency is varying from 60 Hz, but if the fan is a DC fan then I would say the voltage is going up or down a little. Or it could be mice chewing up your wiring and you need to replace the wiring with a Prevost.

That is a relief to know that I am not overcharging those AGMs.

The fan is a typical 120v AC 14" electric fan that is plugged into an AC outlet that is powered by the inverter.

I keep telling Louise that we need that 2000 Elegant Lady (Shookie's former bus) down in Stuart, but she's not willing to give up the slides. I'll keep working on her

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was Cleveland!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

You need to run the generator to have the fridge on? I don't understand... Isn't your fridge running off the inverter?

Keep working on Karen....