Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Air Card, 3G wireless internet

bgaunce Guest

One option which is new to the conversion market but is being used extensively in commercial buses for bulletproof in-motion internet access for multiple users (up to 45 passengers) is Hobnob. I use our coach (1999 H3 Vantare) both for work and for play and need robust in-motion internet service for the work part of the day that importantly works in a VPN environment without interruption. Upload/and download speed is consistently strong (modest T-1 speeds) and Hobnob is the only (moderately priced) service that I've found that achieves this in a VPN environment (short of mobile satellite which is prohibitively expensive). Hobnob uses multiple air cards from separate carriers, a multiplexer and a router to constantly seek out the strongest signal automatically, combined with high performance antennas on the roof of the coach. After researching many different options and purchasing a couple of different sets of equipment for our needs (and being disappointed), Hobnob finally provided the solution. we were looking for. The combination of 4 cell cards and Hobnob's active signal management service costs between $300.00 and $500.00 per month so it isn't the right solution for the casual user, but if you need business grade internet service while in motion, based upon our experience, this is the ticket. If this is what you are looking for, you can try hobnob.com for more info. or email me for more detailed questions. I'm a new member and wouldn't usually post such a long message, however the in-motion internet challenge has been a big one for us and if we can save a fellow member from the process we went through to arrive at the solution I'd welcome the opportunity to help.

I recently upgraded to a Verizon MiFi with 5 gigs a month and have been very happy so far. It can handle 5 users at a time so that's more than enough for us. It's about $60/month. I don't use it every month but it's nice to have when I need it.

Devin W Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bgaunce View Post
    I use our coach (1999 H3 Vantare) both for work and for play and need robust in-motion internet service for the work part of the day that importantly [U]works in a VPN environment without interruption... Hobnob uses multiple air cards from separate carriers, a multiplexer and a router to constantly seek out the strongest signal automatically.
    That's an interesting point. I could be wrong, but I got the impression that the Autonet carries contracts w/multiple providers so that it automatically uses the strongest signals. I'll have to check where I got that idea. I have also used it for VPN access and have found it to be very stable. Again, I don't move huge files, etc back and forth -- primarilly e-mail, etc.

By the way, welcome aboard. I know for sure that my first post didn't have nearly as much useful information as yours did!

edit: just did some reading on hobnob and definitely seems like a great solution if you've really got to have an on-demand reliable solution for internet.
    Last edited by Devin W; 08-25-2010 at 11:24 PM.