Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Card, 3G wireless internet

Default Air Card, 3G wireless internet

Just about ready to get a wireless router for our bus. Read Mango's endorsement of Boosterantena.com which is now 3Gstore.com. Looks good to me. Anybody have other opinions about these aircards or the best way to go about getting set up? I don't think I want to do the whole motosat thing. Air card should suffice for us. We are mac people if that makes any difference and will have at least two computers. (Or, maybe just one if I con convince my wife to let me get the new iPhone.) Verizon? Sprint? ATT? Any opinions?

Thanks,

~Adam

Adam, we use an AT&T air card plugged into a TopGlobal router. Works great for us. Tonight we are in Texarkana, TX and both online at the same time. Speed is reasonable. Not super fast, but acceptable.

Adam: We have had good luck with Verizon Air Card for the computer and Verizon family plan phone. If you have any Onstar vehicles the Verizon can be dovetailed into them for Verizon rates. We found Verizon with the best location coverage. Any Verizon caller to Verizon caller is free minutes. I'm not a shopper , there may be better deals out there, but I'm happy with what we have.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Adam,

To make the installation seamless and pain free get both the wireless router and the verizon card from the same folks at 3g. Just tell them you have a Mac and it will be plug and go when you get it.

Mike

I can echo some of the other comments. We have used a Verizon air card for the oast couple of years now and we're very happy with both the performance as well as the coverage areas.

Adam we love 3Gstore. Victor is the only Mac guy there buy he is very knowledgeable. We have the Cradlepoint MBR 1000 router adn the Verizon Express card. They work great for Pamela and I. We also have the Rogers Merlin x950D card for Canada. Do not use the Verizon card in Canada. WE had a $2800 bill in a week, luckily they reversed the charges and we bought the Rogers card.

Lloyd,

Are you still using the Motosat?

Yes, when we have a view of the SW sky and it is not too windy. Lately we have been staying in very heavily wooded sites and have not been able to deploy the sat or get a signal. Too bad because in some places the wireless and 3G connections have been poor also.

We have been in Bermuda for a week with no internet. How are you? Last I read they were totaling the bus and it was not good news. Any change?

Best to you,
    Lloyd

Default Novatel Wireless Merlin XU870

We bought this equipment prior to the Kerrville POG Rally. I purchased it direct from the company's affiliate, NexAira
    The two links provide specs and price. I think this can be used with any service vendor. We use ATT Wireless and have great service and reception. At almost any interstate rest area there is a good signal and a good transfer rate. The best demonstration I have had of this device is when our daughter signed on to the Internet as we left our home in Reno, NV for a trip to 6 Flags at Vallejo, CA, near SF. The signal was lost briefly driving over Donner Pass in the Sierras but was quickly restored. Daniela surfed and emailed the complete trip. Connection speed is good and in over two years I have never had a problem. I pay ATT $59 per month for unlimited service.

Default 3Gstore.com, quiet good

I called the folks at the 3G store. No doubt, they know their stuff. Very helpful, no pressure at all to buy. I was worried that getting set up with something like this might take a little while, but it turns out that I can wait until a few day before we take off for our tour to get things started with them. Nice folks.

Thanks for the recommendation and all the comments.

~Adam