Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Country Coach Owners - Gen Service

Default Country Coach Owners - Gen Service

For all you CC guys and gals, don't forget to check and clean the fresh air filter that keeps your generator healthy with cooling air. I do it every 6 months and you would be shocked at how dirty things get. With summer and hot temperatures here, be sure to clean the air system. Wash the filter in warm soapy water and dry real good.

IMG_2350_1.JPG
    Open up the Gen Control electrical box and vacuum out the dust

IMG_2351_1.JPG
    Panels are accessed in the 2nd bay, starboard side of the XLV
    Last edited by truk4u; 06-19-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Spot on Truk, how some ever, if you have a 40, the task is a bit more arduous.

The cooling air inlet is accessed from the rear wall of the first bay, port side. Unfortunately there is not enough room to bring the filter through the hatch so, after removing the two set screws, one fore, one aft, the filter has to be jockied and dropped to the ground through the very hole that it mounts in. The access hatch is labeled and is approximately two feet by two feet....big, but not big enough.

So now that the persperation is flowing freely, and the filter has been dispatched to the laundry tub, you can have a look at the starting battery for the generator which is conveninetly mounted just slightly out of reach in a marine battery box. Once you have finally been able to remove the plastic cover and to, via the brail method, disconnect the cables, your upper body strength comes into play as you fish the battery from the box and through the very same void that the filter screen resides inside......note at this point, the air filter is still in the laundry tub, else you are soon to introduce a few more difficulties. The starting battery, on the CC, is only charged when the generator is running hence the reason for the aux gen start switch on the overhead which uses the coach batteries in case of starting battery failure.

I remove the battery, check the electrolite levels and throw it on a charger for a couple of hours just for grins...battery replacement is often an option here as well if this area has suffered from, shall I say, deferred maintenance.

To install, reverse the sequence, remembering that the battery must go in first. Also a word of caution here, adjoining the battery box is an HWH leveling sensor....a gizmo that has finite adjustments and resides on a spring, not unlike an old bicycle seat, only much smaller....mounting the battery on this unit will give your coach a permanent case of the leans that may prove difficult to diagnose, much less resolve. As mentioned earlier, this is a marine battery box that is held in position with two nylon straps that run through conveniently placed eyelets in this compartment. The balance of the process is self explanatory however a tip would be to mark the battery cables with something that works well in brail, to identify either the positive or negative cables and posts....else a new set of difficulties will be manifested. Remember always install the positive lead first to avoid that nuisance sparking.

Repeat this cycle every 6 months...............

John
    Last edited by flyu2there; 06-19-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Fly Man,

All of a sudden I'm happy to have a 45' CC! What were those retard engineers thinking when they designed that mess?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Tom

What flavor will your next bus be?

John,

In my '96 CC 40XL for that service I just removed the carpeted 1x3 board in the middle of the wall and the whole wall was open. Very easy access to everything.

93 40"CC. To gain room in that area, I pull the screws that hold 1\2 the panel in and slide it out the drivers side hatch. Open the little door to give you a better grip on the panel. Three or four screws holding a panel about mid bay and another three on the end by the door. Its tight, but will slide out on mine. Just pull the panel forward a bit to clear the insulation on it. You still have to work around braces, but have a nice big area to view the generator battery, aux air pump and the filter for the generator and the air intake filter which is almost impossible to remove through that little door.

Mike K.

Default Georgia Gray?

I don't see any bling. Is that the way CC does it?
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

King,

Country Coach thought Bling was a form of corrosion, so they say, "no, we don't have any."

Joe - I'm not yet sure, but I think a Liberty bug bit me!

That's the way it works Truk......

Everybody that owns something else wants a Liberty.

Liberty owners don't want anything else.

I'm gonna puke for sure now.........