Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: power steering

I checked and followed all the suggestions and procedures regarding bleeding, which was not necessary on my unit, so I finally emailed Prevost and figured that this may be a little over my head. They basically diagnosed it bad power steering pump. I couldn't figure why at a dead stop the wheel was almost impossible to move and rolling just a little gave me back my power steering this didn't sound logical to me but, my experience with the South Brunswick NJ Prevost facility has been great so I trust their info.. So a new pump and fliter and fluid change gets me 100% again.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Quote Originally Posted by rickdesilva View Post
    I checked and followed all the suggestions and procedures regarding bleeding, which was not necessary on my unit, so I finally emailed Prevost and figured that this may be a little over my head. They basically diagnosed it bad power steering pump. I couldn't figure why at a dead stop the wheel was almost impossible to move and rolling just a little gave me back my power steering this didn't sound logical to me but, my experience with the South Brunswick NJ Prevost facility has been great so I trust their info.. So a new pump and fliter and fluid change gets me 100% again.
    Hello to All,

We were at the Prevost Service center in Quebec last week to have a few items addressed. While there I mentioned that at the end of a driving day that I noticed that the steering was starting to get more difficult and it would start to squeal when I was making slow turns while moving, with some back pressure.

Their best mechanic (Marcel) who my possibly be the most knowledgeable Prevost Mechanic on earth, confirmed by Quebec Prevost, inspected the power steering and determined that we needed to bleed the system, drain all fluids and replace the power steering fluid with a heavier motor oil. We went through the process together, draining, replacing the filter cleaning out the reservoir and bleeding off the air. Of all the things that I have done to this bus I can say that the outcome from this one item makes an enormous difference in the steering, handling, tightness and feel over the road. Great value.

PS> The first thoughts from the service writer was that I needed to replace the pump.

If any of you are ever at Quebec Prevost, ask for Marcel to work on your Bus. He did about ten little items to our Bus that really showed me just how careful and experienced he is.

One Example: He checked all fluid levels including wheel bearing, transmission and drive axle. He added small amounts in some cases and removed excess fluids in other, including over filled wheel bearings and Drive axle, just small amounts put very careful. All business with great attention to detail.

I would recommend this to anyone who is experiencing any steering issues.

Steering box Adjustments: My guess is one of the things Marcel did to improve your steering was adjust the slack in your steering box gears. This has to be done carefully. No more than a quarter to a half turn tight to remove slack. Too much causes damage to the gears. When I first got my 91 Royale I found myself herding it between the lines. A visit to an experianced heavy truck front end alighnment shop gave me a new driving experiance. A few years later I had the alighnment checked and it was right on and the steering box got another 1/4 turn tight and it put it right on. I find the motor shops know motors and do not know chasis any more than alignmet people know motors. You don't take your feet to a cardioligist,
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Harry, My feet go with me everywhere!

dreamchasers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 0533 View Post
    Hello to All,

We were at the Prevost Service center in Quebec last week to have a few items addressed. While there I mentioned that at the end of a driving day that I noticed that the steering was starting to get more difficult and it would start to squeal when I was making slow turns while moving, with some back pressure.

Their best mechanic (Marcel) who my possibly be the most knowledgeable Prevost Mechanic on earth, confirmed by Quebec Prevost, inspected the power steering and determined that we needed to bleed the system, drain all fluids and replace the power steering fluid with a heavier motor oil. We went through the process together, draining, replacing the filter cleaning out the reservoir and bleeding off the air. Of all the things that I have done to this bus I can say that the outcome from this one item makes an enormous difference in the steering, handling, tightness and feel over the road. Great value.

PS> The first thoughts from the service writer was that I needed to replace the pump.

If any of you are ever at Quebec Prevost, ask for Marcel to work on your Bus. He did about ten little items to our Bus that really showed me just how careful and experienced he is.

One Example: He checked all fluid levels including wheel bearing, transmission and drive axle. He added small amounts in some cases and removed excess fluids in other, including over filled wheel bearings and Drive axle, just small amounts put very careful. All business with great attention to detail.

I would recommend this to anyone who is experiencing any steering issues.

Bruce,

Your post said Marcel removed the power steering fluid and replaced it with heavier motor oil. Do you recall what he replaced the transmission fluid with? Very interesting?? My 95 CC has transmission fluid in the power steer reservoir located in the rear of the coach, in battery compartment. My power steering fells OK, but I do not have anything to compare it to. But this sounds like a very doable task with great improvements.

Hector

PS. Dirt and concrete are flying around my house. We have started modifications to build a bus barn.

The previous owner of my coach had most of the service done at Prevost. My PS tank has a rather large sticker "Use 10 - 40 Motor Oil". This thread has allowed me to stop wondering why the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry W View Post
    The previous owner of my coach had most of the service done at Prevost. My PS tank has a rather large sticker "Use 10 - 40 Motor Oil". This thread has allowed me to stop wondering why the change.
    Good morning Larry & Hector,

I will try and answer both questions with this response. I believe the motor oil specs are correct, but am waiting for my bill to be emailed to me to get the details. I will forward them on when I get the bill.

As for the fluid replacement, its the black reservoir up and behind the air cleaner on a series 60 engine. It takes some time and its good to have someone who can turn the wheels back and forth from lock to lock to remove the air while filling. Marcel took careful steps to make sure that the lines where full, before closing up the top.

I would call Prevost Quebec and ask "Jose" to get the exact info for you, she is a wonderful resource person who has access to all data and sits around the corner from the service techs and management. She is also the best looking Prevost employee that I have ever seen to date and very close if not ahead of the Mango's "Corona" girl. Smart and cute, great combo.

dreamchasers Guest

Default thanks

Very Interesting! Thanks for the response.

Hector

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

10-40, that is what I run in the steering pump in my CAT motor.

Quote Originally Posted by 0533 View Post
    I would call Prevost Quebec and ask "Jose" to get the exact info for you, she is a wonderful resource person who has access to all data and sits around the corner from the service techs and management. She is also the best looking Prevost employee that I have ever seen to date and very close if not ahead of the Mango's "Corona" girl. Smart and cute, great combo.
    Hey Bruce, WHAT NO PICTURE? Where is the picture of Jose? We just got's to see this Prevost data technician?

Gary S.