Thread: power steering

Hybrid View

After driving all day, I turned off my engine to go inside to register at an RV Park. When I came back out and fired up the Coach, my power steering did not work. I moved the Coach forward 20 or so feet and suddenly it worked. That was almost two years ago and I have not had the problem again. I guess it was a hic up with the pump, or the fluid was too hot, or some other one time event.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Petervs Guest

Interesting subject. I think we all agree it should not operate this way. Something is amiss.

Lifting the tag would be a stopgap measure to help move the coach only, not a correct way to solve this problem.

When you lift the tag the steering should get easier because the weight on the front axle decreases by about 10% ( do the math...it is not a significant amount in my opinion), and more so because the turning radius becomes better because the effective wheelbase is shorter, and there is less "squirming" of the tires in the back.

When you first start the engine, maybe the belt is slipping that drives the power steering pump? Maybe the pneumatic belt tensioner has not come up to pressure yet? maybe the belt or pulley is worn?

I would go back and look at the engine while it is running when the power steering is not operating correctly, you might learn a lot!

You could "work" the power steering a bit by just turning the wheel back and forth with the bus not moving to see if it gets going.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Did you try shutting it off and restarting and did you try waiting longer?

I am surprised that they changed these things over to belt from gear driven???????????

Maybe it has an air pocket.

It's gear driven unless they made a big change. Don't forget the more obvious possibility, air in the system. There is a procedure to purge out the air, but I don't remember the details.

Petervs Guest

Yes of course it is gear driven. I guess I was thinking itsy bitsy little vehicles.

Anyway, the Prevost Car website has the instructions for troubleshooting and bleeding the system.

http://technicalpublications.prevost.../en/manuel.asp

Choose your model coach and year, click on technical publications, and then chapter 14, steering.

Good luck, and tell us what you find out to solve this problem.

thanks for all the info, I haven't been out there yet....I'll report back
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

I checked and followed all the suggestions and procedures regarding bleeding, which was not necessary on my unit, so I finally emailed Prevost and figured that this may be a little over my head. They basically diagnosed it bad power steering pump. I couldn't figure why at a dead stop the wheel was almost impossible to move and rolling just a little gave me back my power steering this didn't sound logical to me but, my experience with the South Brunswick NJ Prevost facility has been great so I trust their info.. So a new pump and fliter and fluid change gets me 100% again.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Today, I replaced the last filter I believe I have on my Bus. The power steering fluid filter. Wow was it bad.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Giboney
    1992 Prevost Country Coach

The LINK to the Prevost page for the PS no longer works! Anyone able to update it site location?
    Last edited by Garynmike; 07-20-2018 at 06:59 AM.