Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance ??

Default Insurance ??

I see only one other post here on insurance. I have a 93 Country Coach, which should be valued in the $175k range. Currently I'm insured via AAA, which only charged me $600 year year. I thought that was pretty good, however it's really an automobile policy, and probably won't cover things like personal property, the internet satellite system I paid an arm and leg for etc.

So, I checked with Camping World, they use GMAC and supposedly specialize in RV policies. They are having a real hard time evaluating my coach for purposes of a quote. They try to compare to today's coaches. Is it like the Infinity, or the Concept? they ask.

But even more, and what's prompting this coach is adding another driver. I'm flying back to the east coast (from CA) this summer on business. My neighbor is going to use my coach for 1 month, and meet me in New Jersey, where my wife and I will drive back cross country for our vacation.

I want to add my neighbor as a driver to my policy to make sure there are no issues, should there be a problem while he drives it. He is also purchasing a Good Sam Emergency Road membership, KOA memberships etc, whatever he needs to take a month vacation.

AAA said no problem to add another driver and it ended up costing about $25 per month to do that.

The Camping World rep has basically said no, you cannot add another driver. If they drive your vehicle only a little bit, and not a lot of days, then they can drive it without policy change. But, since I indicated a time of 30 days going 3500 milles, they indicated they could not add my neighbor as a driver.

Now, while I was typing this Camping World just called back, and readjusted their numbers of my quote. It was about $700/year, and it just got changed to around $1500/year, because they wanted a price new, for their input. They used a new price of $498k, which I'm guessing is reasonable for a 93 CC? I guess their original quote had a price new of $150k, and they would depreciate from there??

Anyway, I'm looking for a good company that writes motorhome policies, and is familiar with older Prevost conversions. Preferrably one who will let me add an additional (mature/retired) driver to the policy.

Any help is appreciated.

Ray

Hi Ray,

I use Garden City Insurance in Montana ( Kieth Nelson
    866.444.1084) They are familiar w/ the Prevost. I have a '97 Liberty that is insured for replacement cost (equal to what the purchase price was). Policy runs $1440 a year. Call Keith as he is pretty knowledgeable and I'm sure can answer your question about the 2nd driver.

Good Luck

MangoMan

I'm curious if this sounds reasonable. Called Keith, and he gave me a quote of $950 per year, for my 93, insured for $175k. He DID indicate it would be no issue to insure the second driver.

ken&ellen Guest

Default Twin Peaks

Ray, Ellen did extensive reseach for insurance on our '91 Liberty and came up with Twin Peaks out of Fla. Our policy is not a standard auto policy, but specific to our motor coach. We are currently paying $1195 per year. Ken & Ellen

Man, I better be calling Keith back.

Actually this sounds about right based on my replacement value of around 300k.

Mike

Thanks Ken, your 91 Liberty would be much closer to mine. So, at the $600 I'm paying now, I'm concerned as to what coverage I'm really getting. I need to nail down AAA to be certain. I guess that's good, as long as I never need the insurance, but bad if something happens.

Mango, originally he gave me a quote for $150k, which was about $800/year. It went up to around $950 for $175k. So, given that's about $150 per $25,000 insured, your figures sound about right for $300k vehicle (I guess??)

He also tried to give me a quote for another company, based out of CA, however, he found that they wouldn't cover Prevost.

Ray

PS: Ken, when you insured your coach, was it for a mutually decided value too? When I tried to do this with GMAC (Camping World) they couldn't do this. They wanted the original price of the coach in '93, and then did a valuation from there. Because the original price of the coach is in excess of $500,000, this put it in some special high price category, even though my coach is 13 years old.

Ken,
    I tried Twin Peaks after you posted the last time and I couldn't even get a call back. Just thought I would let you know oh great music jockey. I ended up with Explorrer Insurance and they did a great job at a reasonable price.

Ray, be careful of the limits, they will quote you low limits and the Prevost sticks out like a sore thumb.

Tom, what limits do you run on your coach? Do you have Explorer's number handy? I'll give them a call too.

Is this http://www.explorer-insurance.com/ ??

From personal experience I can say Explorer and their insurance company, National Interstate did a great job when we had our fire.

They knew Prevost coaches, never batted an eye about towing it for three hours to Jacksonville, and like me, insisted that the repairs were of the highest quality.

I would be afraid of any insurer who thinks a Prevost is a motorhome.