Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tires?

Adam, for a few bucks you can get an infrared temperature sensor gun. I have a Fluke and it cost around $79.

When you stop to take a break you can shoot the temps of both the tires and hubs or wheels. If anything is out of the norm it will show up and further checking can be done.

I do like the concept of the tire sensors that measure both pressure and temperatures. I am not yet sold on the external pressure sensors that mount on the valve stem.

Jon,

Where do you point your temp senor? I purchased one, and aimed it at the sidewalls. Steve Bennett suggested to me that he points at the tire treads, coming directly inline with the tire.

Just curious if there are opinions where to measure the temp most accurately.

Ray

ps: I picked up one of these infra-red temp sensors at Sears. Also around $75 (plus or minus). Really helpful for a lot of things, including checking your A/C to see how efficiently it's working

OK, so what temperatures are you finding as you travel? I've seen mine mostly in the 115 to 125 degree range. I tend to look more for uniformity than the actual temp.

Any guidelines?

Default Tire Temps

I too use the old infra red hand held thermometer to check tire and hub temps. The temps will vary as to outside air temp, daylight, night time, sunny side or shade side. I am like you Paul I am looking for the big variance in temps from one to the next. As long as they are fairly consistent from one wheel and tire to the next wheel and tire on the same side life is good.

Then I come in the coach an aim at the Ms to see what her temp is.
    Last edited by rfoster; 06-03-2008 at 06:12 PM.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

I also use a Fluke infrared hand held. Temps run 108 - 125 depending on outside temps and which side has the sun. I notice the drivers side of the towed vehicle runs about 10 degrees hotter than the passenger side due to the exhaust of the Bus. The red flag of this system is a variation in temps of a significant amount.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

My temps are consistent with Pauls. To be consistent since I cannot shoot the sidewalls of the inner drive axle tires I shoot the treads. If I could easliy shoot the sidewalls of the inner tires I would aim at the widest point on the bulge. If I had a willingness to assume some risk I would only shoot the outside sidewalls because a low pressure on either drive axle tire would show up as a high temp on the outside tire.

The sunny side of the coach is always going to be warmer by a few degrees so as long as one side has similar temps and the other has similar but warmer temps I assume I am OK.

FWIW, my tires and valves are all apparently as leak free as I can expect. When I check tire pressures, even after the coach sits for an extended period I rarely am off by more than a pound of pressure. The temperature in my garage varies from the coldest in the winter around 55 degrees to the hottest in the summer around 75 and except for the seasonal pressure adjustment I haven't had to add air, but I still check them because the downside is too dangerous.