Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've Got The Bug/ Buying Newer 345

Default I've Got The Bug/ Buying Newer 345

Pam and I have decided that we have been completely hooked on the "Bus Thing". We are heading out this week for Nova Scotia and around returning to Florida when we feel like it.

We purchased our Marathon #0533 last December in Coburg Or. at the Marathon factory. It is a 1999 model Year, 1998 Shell, it was one owner bus with 30,600 original miles on it when we purchased her. It was the most expensive conversion Marathon had ever made until the year 2000. Its a single slide coach, 13'X3' and has about every feature possible including a really cool observatory.

I have upgraded every aspect, from tires, Koni Shocks, airbags, batteries, refreshed the paint, all new A/V, headliner, Refinished the floors, new refrigerator, microwave, gave Marathon a blank check (Although its been filled out since) to repair and upgrade everything, AC, Over the road, Webasto, plumbing upgrades, paint the roof, new painted fenders, had Prevost go through everything, from engine to air, anything that could be upgraded has been.
    The list could go on for ten pages.

I am a detail nut, love to make things better than new, and I think I have gotten very close.

Pam and I are now on the lookout for a late model (2006/2007) 2 slide 345, either a Marathon or possibly a Liberty possibly Featherlite. If you know of any let me know. It must be a one owner, extremely low mileage and never ever had any damage.

In closing I do not want to be a 2 coach owner and will offer 0533 at a very reasonable price, and will make certain that whomever buys it is able to drive away without wondering about anything for at least 30 miles, just kidding.
    0533-em-ext-pro.gif

0533-em-bedroom.gif

0533-em-galley-portholes.gif

0533-em-in-std.gif
    Last edited by 0533; 06-01-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Default What is a 'reasonable price?

Bruce, I think most of us here on the forum have followed you and Pam from the purchase, through your improvements, and finally, where you are today. I am convinced your coach is in top shape and certainly is unique. All of this begs the question; HOW MUCH?

I am tempted because of the slide but, like you, I don't want to be a member of the TBC.

I am sure you will keep us informed about when you are going to do this. We'll be waiting.

Darl

Quote Originally Posted by Darl-Wilson View Post
    Bruce, I think most of us here on the forum have followed you and Pam from the purchase, through your improvements, and finally, where you are today. I am convinced your coach is in top shape and certainly is unique. All of this begs the question; HOW MUCH?

I am tempted because of the slide but, like you, I don't want to be a member of the TBC.

I am sure you will keep us informed about when you are going to do this. We'll be waiting.

Darl
    Hello Darl,

This is always the bottom line when making a purchase. My timing sucks a little I guess given the market, but I will sell the coach when the right person comes along and when I find the right replacement coach. I really do want this coach to go to people who can appreciate the upgrades and overall quality. I am certain that all POG members know what I mean.

My problem is that I paid a small premium for a one owner , low milage slide coach in the beginning, so I am starting behind the power curve out of the gate, oh well.

One thing that I can say is that buying an early slide coach can be difficult unless you are willing to essentially rebuild and upgrade the slide out unit, which I have done. This slide out is huge, and was over engineered from the start. It is a HWH slide room built by a company called Rouge in OR. No longer in business. The great news is that Marathon completely rebuilt it as part of my contract for renovation and upgrades. It took two goes at it to make it work perfect, but now it is really smooth and does not creep out.

We spent just a hair over $100K on upgrades, including the following:

1. New headliner: The original was real leather, very thin with chrome strips. I replaced it with suede.
    2. Floors: They are real cork: I had them sanded and stained and refinished. Looks beautiful, rich Mahogany look.
    3. Bus Aux Air: had it completely upgraded and repaired, new lines, new compressor pump, all doors , bed, drivers seat, slide cover, all of it, no leaks anywhere.
    4. Paint: had all stripes repainted, topside, silver redone and all rivets repaired and painted and clear coated.
    5. Stainless done
    6. Slideout. Replaced all hydraulics, lines, latches, sensors, all parts.
    7. Upgraded plumbing bay: New sensors replaced macerator pump, some lines etc.
    8. Galley: New 3 door fridge, New microwave, duel cooking microwave oven.
    9. Audio Visual: Took out all old and replaced both Tv's with High Def, new sat dish, two receivers, FM, DVD, the whole mess. all new from front to back including the fancy remote controls.
    10. Upgraded all roof antennas: Including replacing Moto Sat, CB, antennas, and all associated equipment.
    11. Prevost Car: Had them go through the bus and repair or replace anything that was needed: OTR air upgraded and Webasto cleaned, Circulation pump replaced, checked and replaced any air valves, Norgen??
    12. Replaced all 8 tires and 2 wheel upgrades, energy 315 michelin and 2 365 steer wheels and tires all michelin.
    12. All new Koni shocks set to medium.
    13. All new airbags
    14. New A-Arms front.
    15. Had the 50,000 mile Prevost service (actually have 35K) including the changing of all fluids, wanted to start fresh, radiator, both Genset and main. Transmission, main, all belts, any upgrade kits that were available. Spare parts inventory. Greased, adjusted and tweaked everything
    16. Even have changed the oil twice in the past five months.
    17. batteries in all compartments, genset, house and engine.
    18. had the insulation renewed in the genset bay along with oil and service on the genset.
    19. Lots of misc, stuff, like all outside lighting, from headlights, marker, all taillights, bulbs etc.
    20. had a 3 axle alignment done. leveled out the coach etc.
    21. Cellphone booster, repeater, router system installed.

I have left out lots of little stuff, and am sure that there is more, have about 50 pages of invoices. Most have been done within the past few months, all of the Prevost service lots within the past 30 days or so.

So what is it worth, good question. I figure that someone will make an offer at some point, and if I get lucky enough to find a new or nearly new coach at a discount i will be more willing to discount and eat some of my expenses as part of m y education into the bus world.

I have tendency to overdo things a little in an effort not to have to look back, sometimes i overpay.

The good news is that Marathon will stand behind and have stood behind all work done, and Prevost Car warrantees here stuff for one year.

The bus has all of the Marathon upgrades and options along with a bunch of custom stuff including observatory with ladder inside, commercial kitchen with both gas and electric stoves, custom one piece stainless galley, port holes, all one of, really cool especially from inside. Bedroom walls are wainscoated in red leather, king bed the same. Furniture were designed by Rolls Royce in coach red leather, and much more.

The Prevost shell had all options including the 86" height, Howard active steering, OTR, and several other features I have forgotten. Front tire or pull out storage, air conditioning is RVAC and in the back bays.

I think its best to see what others feel it is worth, so That I do not look stupid with my pricing.

I can provide a complete list, copies of invoices etc for a more detailed look along with tons of images.

Regards,

Bruce,I am curious,why an H3 and not an XLII?

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    Bruce,I am curious,why an H3 and not an XLII?
    Hello Jack,

I am anxious to try the newer bus, but do not want to deal with the glued on stainless or windows. I have been at Prevost jacksonville and have seen no less than 5 or 6 buses being re-glued, windows being removed and pieced
    together. I love the look of the XLII buses and wish that they were not having problems. I prefer the stainless look but have decided that the 345 is the best solution for a new bus today based on these factors.

I really love my bus, it runs and looks great, its barely broken in, but now that i have the bug its time to try a new or nearly new bus.

lewpopp Guest

This is all well and good. You have counted yourself down and now join the PPs.

Bruce,I have always heard that the XLII stainless problems were in the early 2000 shells,have you seen problems with the recent production?

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    Bruce,I have always heard that the XLII stainless problems were in the early 2000 shells,have you seen problems with the recent production?
    I'm no expert but have seen XLII buses up to 2006 with stainless problems and now of course the window issues, I just do not want to fight this battle. It sounds like you have a good one with no problems. i bet it ends up being batches of the epoxy, how they were mixed, weather, temps and all. This stuff requires careful prep work and can kick you in the butt if one does not have the experience.

Bruce,

They all will have their troubles. Friends of ours recently took delivery of Marathon 0957, and "H" with 40K miles. They have had slide room troubles...not wanting to retract, so you can't move. Hopefully, this is solved, Marathon tweaked the slide. They have had salon windows crack and come unglued. Remember, the newer "H"'s have glued in flush windows, too.
    Can you post a few more photos of 0533 along with a floorplan?>?
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Bruce,

If you're going to come over to the dark side you have to get the nomenclature correct. It's H3-45.

Good luck.

MIke