Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XLII side windows

Default XLII side windows

In the last 6 months I have had three side windows "blow" and by blow I mean the exterior glass shatters and sounds like you have been hit by a shotgun.

Have any of you been bothered by this problem?

Prevost service tells me it is not that uncommon. They have had them blow in the box, while a coach is just sitting in the shop and related a story where two coaches traveling together each had a window go on the same highway. They don't know if the vendor had/has a construction problem or if something else is the cause.
    One of mine went while on the interstate, one while they were working on it in the shop and the last one at 5 a.m. while sleeping on a very level site. All are on the passenger side.

dalej Guest

I have never heard of this happening. I can't even remember a post about it. But it sounds like Prevost has.

Keep us all informed about it.

I'm sure if it would happen to a certain 01 American conversion, located in TX we are sure going to hear about it

Dale,

He (a certain 01 American) has a hard time plugging the bus in, don't get him started on windows now. I did hear from a Prevost person that the manufacturer of the awning windows for the XLII is either shut down or out of business and they have no replacement windows in stock (they do have non-awning windows in stock).

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Alan,

Leroy and Joan Bracelin had several of their 2004 Marathon XLII, 804?? windows blew. Being dual paned, the outer glass becomes stressed for some reason and shatter. I guess like your XLII side windows, Prevost has no side window replacements for our "H"3-45 coach either, sliders, awning tip out or solid. Heck of a way to run a business, don't you think??
    I wonder why Prevost is having a hard time finding a window vendor? Any ideas?
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 05-30-2008 at 12:30 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Somebody is blowing smoke. First, someone needs to contact the DOT to prompt a recall since Prevost apparently doesn't get it.

Second, the lack of windows to replace the failed windows suggests that Prevost has their production lines shut down because they cannot get windows.....or they have decided their customers with problems can wait until they are good and ready to start shipping replacements.

I can clearly understand lacking certain proprietary items for a vintage coach long since out of production, but to fail to have replacement parts for current models is too much to beleive. They would win points if they would offer the owners some relief.

Your're very right, Jon. But as I said above and have told Mango, Prevost has "NO" replacement side Salon or Bedroom windows for our "H"3-45's. These are the solid non-opening ones.
    It's sad, that it is easier to get parts for a 1928 Cadillac, than for 2000 (1999 shell) "H"3-45 or a current XLII;s.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Well, so far they have been good at finding me replacements. They offered to overnight a replacement to Fort Worth if necessary but since I was in Utah I didn't think it hardly necessary. They said the only folks that would do the replacement is Prevost as it requires major work in getting the old window out. Like to the tune of two men eight hours. They have comp'ed the replacements so far and threw in a new windshield also. However, the time involved on my part is pretty major. The first time required repainting the side of the bus to the tune of $$$ due to glass chips---which they also picked up.

Man, you guys are making me appreciate my XLV more and more....

Not being able to get replacement windows, which to me sounds like it should be a priority for Prevost, is scary.

Somehow, I don't think our home would be quite the same with a sheet of plywood covering the hole in the side of the bus 'till a replacement window could be found!

I think Masonite would be the material of choice as the top has a 30 degree radius and plywood is difficult to bend.

Alan, if you keep posting all this good stuff about XLII shells the new bus sales police are going to show up on your door and take you away.

Two men, 8 hours plus a possible paint job if you need to replace a window? This compares to about 45 minutes in the old rivet coaches. Do you have any other compelling reasons to buy an XLII you want to share?

They can do them all for free forever, but it still does not mitigate the need to drive to Prevost (only) for repairs.