Thread: Canadian coach

spotclinton Guest

Question Canadian coach

We are new to the forum, and new "lookers" for a Prevost coach.

There is an 01 Marathon H3 in PEI (Prince Edward Island), Canada. We drove up to look at the coach, and we'd like to own it. No financing would be involved.

Problem is logistics - we would want a full PDI, and a US delivery (possibly Minneapolis area) with appropriate title paperwork. At this point, the owner is not willing to have a PDI in the U.S., as the distance for him is so far (we suggested the Marathon factory). He has agreed to a chassis PDI at the Prevost factory in Quebec. We thought about flying a Marathon mechanic to the Prevost factory to do the conversion PDI, but apparently Canada won't allow it.

The owner has agreed to a US delivery, closest to his PEI home.

We have concerns about title and PDI.

Has anyone (US) purchased a Canadian coach?

Spot,

Email Jeff. He is now back in Maine and may be able to give you some good information concerning a Canadian purchase and PDI.
    Contact him at prevostman@msn.com

Jim

A PDI can protect the buyer and seller, but may not be necessary if the coach has excellent logs or service records.

As a private buyer and seller, in the absence of a PDI by a qualified third party the best substitute is to have the seller insure either by records or having it done immediately prior to transfer that all maintenance is current. In the absence of documentation just have the service performed.

That should include a full lube, all fluids being at the required level and changed according to the schedule or changed at transfer, a visual inspection of brake pad or shoe thicknesses, tire tread depths or date of manufacture (6 years and they are to be replaced), batteries less than five years old, all filters current, and most importantly, an operational check of all systems.

I would suggest that a Detroit Diesel and Allison dealer read the DDEC and ATEC history and you contact Prevost for the coach maintenance history.

When you do the systems check, make sure you operarate every button, switch, component and device and that you are personally satisfied with the fact they operate as required. Call the converter if you have any questions.

Needless to say the coach then needs a road test to check for noise vibration, smoke, or any other defect.

It is doubtful a coach of that vintage will be a problem, and in the absence of perfection the price can be adjusted to reflect the cost of any defect repairs.

Take your time and be patient. It is a long process to inspect a coach but it does not require an expert or a dealer. Ask away if you have questions. There are a bunch of very qualified people who have been through this before to help you.

pognumber26 Guest

Default Used coach purchase

Jon speaks volumes of wisdom...I want to offer some SOBERING advice!! I purchased an '00 H3-45 coach last November...Fortuneately, I drove DIRECTLY to the Prevos NJ facility for an inspection!! They discovered that the tag axle tire seal was leaking badly...When they removed the wheel they found virtually NO oil...as the tech said I was only a few miles from a potential calamity!! The coach I bought had been GARAGED for the last 9 months ...this caused a HOST of NON-USE problems including air bags deflating/webasto clogging/window seals etc etc...I had to change ALL the house batteries for $4,000...My point is this, even if you get a great price on the coach and have to put $20,000 to bring it up to snuff...Without a truly competent PDI, your safety while driving is the ONLY issue that will matter!!! I got lucky...TRULY.. DON'T LEAVE YOUR SAFETY TO CHANCE!!!... Everything on these coaches can be fixed...Your life/body is much more difficult to repair if the bus fails at 60mph!!! That is the REAL ISSUE HERE!!

spotclinton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Skiff
    Spot,

Email Jeff. He is now back in Maine and may be able to give you some good information concerning a Canadian purchase and PDI.
    Contact him at prevostman@msn.com

Jim
    I received a detailed note from Jeff - based on that, we're going to forget the Canadian coach - too many unforseen problems.

Chris Clinton

Spotclinton,
    We were considering that coach almost 2 years ago. Contacted Prevost for coach service history and there was virtually none. We moved on.

spotclinton Guest

Default Canadian coach

Thanks for your post on the Canadian coach. We have decided against it - too much unknown. Still looking.