Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Locked Out/Twice/Still Locked Out

I do not have a air lock,I now understand the problem.

I have had the same problem...mutt steps on the air locker and there is no way in. I put a safety cover on that switch, I also cover it with a pillow..just in case.....and I keep the entry door sliding window slightly ajar and unlocked when the mutt is in the bus.

I managed to get in with a "slim jim" through the bedroom opening window but it took two forevers to do that. Lesson learned....keep the window slightly ajar.

John

Quote Originally Posted by flyu2there View Post
    I have had the same problem...mutt steps on the air locker and there is no way in. I put a safety cover on that switch, I also cover it with a pillow..just in case.....and I keep the entry door sliding window slightly ajar and unlocked when the mutt is in the bus.

I managed to get in with a "slim jim" through the bedroom opening window but it took two forevers to do that. Lesson learned....keep the window slightly ajar.

John
    Here is what I have learned.

Today I called Both Prevost and Marathon to get a handle on my particular Prevost model year and Marathon production #0533.

Marathon said that all I had to do was turn off the Bus 12/24 volt disconnect. This did not work.

Prevost suggested that I bleed off all of the Accessory Air at the door under the toll window, bottom, which air's up the Door locks Pocket doors, Slide Room etc. I did this and it did not seem to work.

I then asked Prevost about the following: I said that I have a FOB remote Key lock device. I have not been using it, but what if it was accidently activated. Prevost said that it might cause this problem. He said he would get back with the exact breaker.

While he was researching it I found the breaker in the upper Toll window door, CB122. I tripped it and dumped the air and turned off the Bus 12/24 volt power and the door opened.

The problem here of course is that I did all three together.

I did isolate the problem down to the Remote Key Fob locking system. It appears that because I have not used it since I purchased the Bus in Nov. 2007 while it was at Marathon Coburg and it sat there for several months.

Prevost suggested that I cycle the key off and on several times to get it working again, I have and it seems OK.

I have like John kept the P/S door window Ajar, have an extra key to all bays in my Toad, and will keep the dog away from the Door locking pad next to the passengers door, or at least protect it from the dog.

I am still not absolutely certain that the dog activated the Air Door Locks, she won't talk, even after water boarding her. Pam made me stop after 2 hours.

Really though I have not gotten a good answer about the Remote Key FOB and the Air Locks working as one. I do not think they do, but am certain that the FOB does, or did not work correctly.

The bottomline here is: Never ever leave the dog in the bus when the door is shut and there is no key outside or access to the bays, you are really in trouble then.

It has cost me a windshield, good lesson and now I know how to take one out, the right tools would have helped a great deal.

End of story for now. Thanks for all of the help.

Have you ever considered putting the dog in a kennel while you're out of the bus? May solve a whole lot of problems: potential locked doors, dog hair on the furniture, etc. We kennel ours. They can't wait for the bribe!! Milk Bones upon entering the kennel. All we have to say is, "Kennel." And they're in. We tried to leave our oldest Schnauzer free in the coach. He insisted on going in one of the other two kennels.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post

Have you ever considered putting the dog in a kennel while you're out of the bus? May solve a whole lot of problems: potential locked doors, dog hair on the furniture, etc. We kennel ours. They can't wait for the bribe!! Milk Bones upon entering the kennel. All we have to say is, "Kennel." And they're in. We tried to leave our oldest Schnauzer free in the coach. He insisted on going in one of the other two kennels.
    If I did that I would have to leave Pam with her, it will never happen in my life time. The dog is in the will, I am not.

In all of this discussion I am still not sure exactly which lock is the one in question.

The Prevost air lock or the dead bolt in the door?

If it is the air lock that is giving grief it will not be opened with a key as pointed out by Truk, but will require as has been suggested the air to be released.

If it is the dead bolt, that is likely to be actuated with a key fob and the coach door key will work. Does anybody have a key fob actuated air lock?

Before Bruce gets in the kennel with the dog and Pam is there an answer? If it was the air lock there would be the unmistakeable sound of the air cylinder being engaged instead of the metallic "clack" of the deadbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    In all of this discussion I am still not sure exactly which lock is the one in question.

The Prevost air lock or the dead bolt in the door?

If it is the air lock that is giving grief it will not be opened with a key as pointed out by Truk, but will require as has been suggested the air to be released.

If it is the dead bolt, that is likely to be actuated with a key fob and the coach door key will work. Does anybody have a key fob actuated air lock?

Before Bruce gets in the kennel with the dog and Pam is there an answer? If it was the air lock there would be the unmistakeable sound of the air cylinder being engaged instead of the metallic "clack" of the deadbolt.
    I am like a witness on the stand trying to remember what he say 2 years ago, but I am reasonably certain (lots going on) that the only way I was able to open the door was to bleed off the accessory air and trip breaker CB122. I do not think that the 12/24 bus batteries made the difference. remember that this is a 1998 XL45 Marathon conversion with the Key FOB Remote entry lock (not the keyless entry) with a strobe light security add on (bizarre feature), yours might be different, but I think this worked for me. The prevost rep who called after it was all over said that some Prevost's have a red switch inside the Toll lower bay as a cut off switch for this purpose. I plan to look tomorrow and will report back.

wrongagain Guest

I know mine is older than yours but 12/24 switches in the off position unlocks my door.

Lee Bornstein Guest

On my 97 Liberty the Air Lock could be defeated by shutting off the Chassis Batteries. 12V was used to keep solenoid energized and air lock active.

When I got locked out because of Keyless Entry being de-programmed, needed key to unlock door.

Air lock can only be activated from inside coach.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by wrongagain View Post
    I know mine is older than yours but 12/24 switches in the off position unlocks my door.
    Good morning Ed,

Are you saying that if your air lock door is activated from the inside, that you can make it open by turning off the 12/24 volt chassis battery?

That simply did not work for me. It was offered a solution by Marathon though.

Prevost said that the 12/24 would not allow the Air Lock to release. I could not get mine to open with the 12/24 off and the Air Locks locked. Prevost also said that they placed a "RED SWITCH" in the lower Toll door that one could pull/switch??? that would override the Air Lock, I could not find this switch on mine.

I also noticed that even with the 12/24 off my Remote key FOB would still operate the door, and it would even chirp., Sounds of locking and unlocking etc, but it does not defeat the Air Lock. Only after I tripped the CB122 breaker and dumped the bleed air did it open.

I plan to replicate this again by engaging the Air Lock with a window open and try to repeat the process starting with the 12/24, to the bleed air to the CB122 breaker until the door opens. I'll report back.

Lots you folks park there Buses with the 12/24 in the off position, is this not so?? Would this not defeat the purpose of the locking system??