Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interstate Rest Area Guide

Default Interstate Rest Area Guide

Anyone know of an online source to determine where the rest areas are on the Interstate highway system?

I have Googled it, but just get disjointed state by state data and it is not very well organized.

Default All inclusive site

Jerry, DieselBoss has it all. This website has about everything needed for cross-country travel for truckers (and POGers) You have RA locations for all 50 states plus fuel prices for all the major sellers, and much, much, more. Try it and let me know if I am full of Tacos!! OK, so it doesn't have Interstate BBQ joints.

Darl

A word of caution....over the course of many miles recently we were surprised by rest areas that were closed.

Some were obviously being upgraded or rebuilt. I can understand how that would necessitate a closure, even though there was no prior warning. On several occasions we passed a rest area expecting to stop at the next one down the road. We assumed because there was a sign that indiacted the next rest area was in XX miles there would be one.

On more than one occasion the anticipated rest area was closed, but until we got to the sign one mile from the rest area there was no clue. Several of those that were closed had no apparent reason for the closure.

OK was especially guilty, and we have noted TN does not have many rest areas and some of those are closed. SC is the state with the most closures especially along I 26.

Well I have been grinding along on this trip plan and it looks like the best option for the first night out is to hit a rest area in the middle of Mississippi.

Darl's link provided one at exit 106 on I-59, but the trip planning software doesn't show it, so it may be new. I know we have three or four new rest areas coming online on both I-45 and I-10 in Texas, so Jon's point about the old ones being closed is right. They closed the old ones way before they got the new ones built. Go figure.

I think I was most impressed with the Florida rest areas. Lots of parking and security guards and they seemed pretty close. Guess those old folks have to stop often to pee.

Default Ms. rest areas

Jerry, if you are coming on I-10 and` I-12 to Slidell, La then north on I-59, go about 8 miles further on I-10 toward the Ms. Gul Coast and their is a great rest area with security.and free tours of the space facility. Dan
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

[QUOTE=Jerry Winchester;29815]Well I have been grinding along on this trip plan and it looks like the best option for the first night out is to hit a rest area in the middle of Mississippi. Darl's link provided one at exit 106 on I-59, but the trip planning software doesn't show it, so it may be new. I know we have three or four new rest areas coming online on both I-45 and I-10 in Texas, so Jon's point about the old ones being closed is right. They closed the old ones way before they got the new ones built. Go figure.

Jerry, think like a woman for a minute and call the State Highway Patrol or Highway department and ask which ones are open I know, I know, I need to head on over to the ladies forum.....Do you have the new edition of "The Next Exit"? It shows several rest areas along I-59 but not one of them has restroom facilities. They have parking lanes and trash cans though! Exits 106,109, 56, 13, 8. The last one is a welcome center with dumpsite available exit 3.
    Debi

Well since I am traveling with my own personal taco grinder, I typically just need a place to stop. When Rae and I were headed to Sevierville, we got out east of Memphis and every rest area or parking area was full. We finally got the last spot (unlevel with the Hummer hanging out) out somewhere west of Nashville. Now I don't think 59 is travelled that hard, but I don't want to get past Meridian and end up in a WalMart.

I'm bunking next to the King of Bling on Friday night, so if anyone is in the Bristol area, I hear he lives on a hog waller that used to be a lake and he cooks a mean possum. I can hardly wait.

Hey Turd Boy,

Stop at camping world and buy the book called "The Next Exit". It'a great source for you to perform the various maintenance issues you will be having since your best work is done on the road.

JDUB you are such a wimp. Who was it, your great grandfather who made the Oklahoma Land Rush?? Did you ever ask him about rest areas along the way?? Man up and head out. And whats this deal of needing a rest area in the middle of Mississippi? Lets see, Houston to mid Mississippi, what 300 miles? That's an easy day for most of the folks in my nursing home, but then they wouldn't be stopping every ten miles for tacos & BBQ so I guess I understand.

You all go have a fun safe trip and we'll pray for plenty of open rest areas.

Go ahead Mel, kick me while you can. But as I still have kids in school and that is their last day and they don't get our until 4:15, I will be hitting the road about the time you hit Luby's for the Senior Citizens Special with all the other old timers.

Then when you're off to bed by 8:45, I will be blazing across Coonass Country inroute to Mississippi exit 106 which I should reach about 1am or roughly about your third time to get up to pee.

Drink lots of water so you have something to do when you wake up........