Thread: Front Brake Chamber

Default Front Brake Chamber

Jon,
    I took the air chamber off the p/s front wheel.
    Pictures attached.
    It came off real easy and I still can not figure out where the slack adjuster or parking brake features are?
    It is a type 24.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim,

I would have to see the entire assembly, but with only that picture I can speculate that your brake chamber is set up to push directly on something that actuates you front brake caliper.

On all of my axles (solid steer axle) my brake chamber has a length of threaded rod extending from the chamber that pushes on a lever arm on the slack adjuster. That lever arm rotates a shaft which operates via some form of cam action the brake shoes or calipers.

In the photo the clevis attaches to the slack adjuster arm and the smaller pin is the attachment to the automatic brake adjuster. The relatively large diameter shaft in the center of the slack adjuster is what rotates, operating the cam which in turn applies the brakes.

Without seeing your entire assembly I surmise that your brakes are applied not by a rotating shaft or cam, but by some push type application. Maybe sometime someone with IFS can pull a wheel at a rally so we can see and understand how things work. In the meantime if you have IFS don't believe a thing I say.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

There is no parking brake on the steer axle, or the tag either.

Jim,

Actually on your coach you may have emergency (spring) brakes on both the tag and drive axles. Attached is a photo of the 30/36 piggy back brake chamber that operates the emergency brakes.

I would highly recommend that you visit the Prevost Publications site and download the printable maintenance manual listed in the Technical Manuals section. Would also suggest you use a Prevost parts manual to identify the parts you see when poking around the bus. JDUB has or had some CD's of the parts manual along with its operating program called "Catview". That said, I prefer paper manuals when working on the bus. With these pubs in hand your maintenance experience will suddenly be demystified. If you're lucky enough to have a nice place to work, bus maintenance will be a very rewarding experience. It will also put you on a slippery road to buying lots of new tools. Good luck.

http://technicalpublications.prevost...com/en/pub.asp

Joe,

Your vintrage does not have a spring brake on the tag, later models do, and later model yet do not.

Default Braving the weather?

Jim, it must not be raining over at your house or you are a very brave bus mechanic. When the rain ends call me if you need any help. Kind of a blind leading the blind thing!

NWS Reno says we are going sunny on Friday.

Have a nice day!!

Darl

Darl,
    All my work has been under the bus so i have been out of the rain!
    Jim