Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone

Default Yellowstone

We've been here in Yellowstone for about 10 days now, and the weather is a little different than in Florida. When we arrived, there was 3'-14' of snow. The picture shows how deep it was in the RV Park. They had just scooped the snow off the pavement so we could back the bus into the parking spot. The snow is really this deep; this is not where they had piled it up.

It has been beautiful all week with temperature in the 60's, but it's snowed 5" today and another 10" is projected in the next couple days. It may sound bad, but it is really beautiful. Paulette and I are both working in the Lake General Store, so if anyone comes through the park, stop by and see us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dale farley; 05-21-2008 at 11:41 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Now THAT is a lot of snow!! I thought the bottom half of the picture didn't load on my computer.... (white on white). Have fun!

Everything is not covered with snow. We went to Cody, WY to church (83 miles) and made some pictures on the way. There were 21 Bighorn Sheep Rams at the foot of the mountain just outside the park. The herd of ewes were grazing close by.

About 50% of the snow had melted by yesterday evening, but it is now looking like a winter wonderland again. All the trees and ground are once again covered. We couldn't get into the Genereal Store where we work one day this week until the Bison decided to graze somewhere that wasn't in front of the door.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dale farley; 05-22-2008 at 12:38 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

How great it is that you guys are doing this ! Enjoy each day and keep us posted.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Way to go Dale and Paulette. Yellowstone is one of our favorite places. Hope to see you later in the summer. Are you in the park or West Yellowstone or?

We are working at the Lake General Store. As the name implies, it is right on the Yellowstone Lake. By far, the best view I've ever had from my workplace. The lake is about 60 miles around and surrounded by mountains, so it is a spectacular site. It is currently frozen solid and covered with snow.

There are about 45 of us who work in this store. Everyone is either retired or in college (most students are foreign exchange students), so it is an interesting mix of employees. Paulette is working in the Fountain area serving milkshakes and sandwiches, and I am in Outdoor Recreation selling sporting goods.

Our bus is in the employee campground (total of 14 sites), and our site is on the very end next to a meadow. There is a sign about 75' from the bus that says "Bear Area". Several areas are blocked off right now because the bears have come out of their dens with their cubs. I am told they like to hang out in this meadow, so we are looking forward to seeing some others.
    Dale & Paulette

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Did you folks set that job up in advance or jump into it after arriving?

How hard or easy was it?

RaodRunner,

I know what you mean about the snow. I lived and worked in Yellowstone for 15 years, winter and summer. I had many jobs over those years., YPSS pumping gas GV, OFI, Lake, Mammoth, OFI employee laundry, MHS bellman, Mostly tho, was YP Co-TwSevices tour bus/tourguide. And in winter snowcoach driver out of West.
    You will love "Christmas in Yellowstone", August 25th. As the saying goes, Christmas comes but twice a year, once at home and another out here, meaning Yellowstone.

Its truly a wonderful experience to live and work in the world's oldest National Park. Enjoy the summer.!!
    Four of us, 3 busses and a CC fiberglass will be at Grizzly RV Park in West July 15-20. Maybe we can arrange a visit.. I figured it was easier to stay there than try to fanagel our way into Bridge Bay or Madison, since we are so big.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Default Grizzly Park and Yellowstone.

Jim/Chris & Dale/Paulette, We stayed in W. Yellowstone last August at the Grizzly RV Park, a very nice place. I think the trip from there to Yellowstone Lake is a little over an hour so you folks should find it easy to meet. We may even come through the park on our way to or from Spearfish if fuel prices are not over $10 per gallon. We didn't stay in the park since our rig is 45' and the largest space at Fishing Bridge is 40' although we were told that a 45' will fit. Just do not disclose the correct length to the park.

We envy all of you and hope you are able to meet and have a great time.

Joe, We planned this in advance. It is realatively easy to find a job at Yellowstone or many other places. We found ours through Workamper.com that shows hundreds of jobs available throughout the U.S.
    Dale & Paulette