Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My tag tire

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Default My tag tire

Here is a picture of what I did the other day. I went about 30 miles to get some work done on a cruise air. On the way back home this happened. I was in a hurry that morning and didn't give the tires a second thought. It appears it was low or developed a leak, ran for a while, then came apart as it overheated. The black stuff on the hub is melted rubber, I think.

Anyway, the vibration as this thing came apart knocked the hub caps off the other side! Does anyone have a source for the two piece tag axle hub caps.

Collateral damage was a cut air bag and a banged up shock.

There is a pressure pro in my future.

Last edited by Jim_Scoggins; 06-01-2008 at 06:28 AM.

dalej Guest

Jim,

This is where I bought mine...http://www.tkane.com/ I'm not sure if you have the same kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Scoggins View Post
    Here is a picture of what I did the other day. I went about 30 miles to get some work done on a cruise air. On the way back home this happened. I was in a hurry that morning and didn't give the tires a second thought. It appears it was low or developed a leak, ran for a while, then came apart as it overheated. The black stuff on the hub is melted rubber, I think.

Anyway, the vibration as this thing came apart knocked the hub caps off the other side! Does anyone have a source for the two piece tag axle hub caps.

Collateral damage was a cut air bag and a banged up shock.

There is a pressure pro in my future.

Jim, How old was the tire??? What did you feel when the tag blew?? Noise, steering issues, control etc. I always like to know what to expect. Had you hit anything, curb etc. recently, tire pressure up. I am a tire nut, and can never seem to get tired of watching them for problems, but you never know what can cause them to come apart. Your looks like the tread has separated from the sidewall, steel belt showing the whole works.

I have a pair of covers for a Marathon. When I changed my fronts to 365's they gave me back my covers from the 315's. They are different from the liberty covers, are not one piece, round center with I believe 3 nut caps, could be 4, can't remember. If you need these let me know.

Jim,

Can you send pictures of the two pieces and how these are attached? I may have a brand new cover and bracket in the box, you can have it for the shipping.

Richard Beecher
    02 Marathon XLII 45
    96 Vogue XL 40 FOR SALE

Jim, I use the pressure system for that exact reason and I also doubt that I would feel a toad tire go down.I guess if the rubber was melting it could catch fire and then become a REAL problem.

I always thought we would feel any vibration if the towed tire blew. NOPE, in April we blew a tire on Rover Discovery, ( left front) and didn't know any better until we stopped for other reasons and saw the towbar was at a downhill angle to Rover. Whoops@! wrapped the tred around the suspension, before, while it was flaling about, took out the inner fender panels, washer bottle and 2 windhshield washer pumps, right front mudflap, and rocker panel cover. Since Rover's tires had a heavy steel belted sidewall, the wheel was riding on the tire bead with some sidewall rubber remaining and that saved the wheel.
    Later, the good thing, we found a junk yard that had all the parts we needed and didn't have to pay retail, when we got home.
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 06-07-2008 at 04:46 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Bruce & Richard:
    Here are pictures of the set up--Liberty can't make it easy. Tire code:4205.
    Strong vibration but no handling issues. I suspect I over temped from low inflation--note the symetrical nature of the failure and there was sure plenty of heat--melted rubber-came off the wheel with mineral spirits.

I need to ask the guys if it can be recapped

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

A bit of info that may be helpful.

When you have a flat these tubeless tires are, by design, suppose to break the bead or break away for the rim. Every now and then for a variety of reasons they will not. When they don't and you continue to run on it it will cause heat and eventually shread Just like that picture and heat up enough to potentially cause a fire.

IF and I repeat IF the tire breaks away from the rim like it should and it has gone flat due to a simple puncture and IF you are confident of the remaining rubber you can run that flat without fear of heating it up or even doing any additional damage. You can safely get off the road or even drive it to a tire service and maybe just slightly reduce your speed.

That picture that Jim posted is not what a tire looks like immediately after loosing its air but a tire that has been run after going flat AND has not broken away from the rim like it is designed to do. In fact if you look closely at the picture the bead of the tire is STILL good. Sometimes, for example, a tire that has been not dismounted for a long time will do that.

So in summery if you have a tire go down due to puncture, and if it breaks away from the rim like it is supposed to and if the remaining rubber is up and good and if you are in an unsafe spot or in the middle of nowhere you can safely continue to another destination without further damage to the tire or threat of excessive heat.

On a tractor trailer if I were empty and had a flat and it separated the bead from the rim as it is suppose to you may, and I have run that tire hundreds of miles.

Because of the nature of our buses and the fact that they are heavier than an empty semi but lighter than a loaded one IMO it would not be unsafe or unreasonable to put this advice to practice if need be.

I am not advocating knowingly running a flat down the interstate or pulling out of the barn on one. I'm just trying to let you know of certain options during certain undesirable situations.

Jim glad to see you solved that picture posting problem, IN A BIG WAY TOO. How did you do that??????????????
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-01-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Jim,

I will pick up the cover from storage tomorrow and have a look. Will drop you a note tomorrow.

Richard

lewpopp Guest

For the best of me, I cannot believe that Chris picked up the parts for a LAND Rover in a junkyard. I am under the assumption that they are supposed to last forever and then TATA rebuilds them.