Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Pressure Washing

Bruce...there is a distinction that I think you missed. I was talking about the garden variety Simple Green, but John's recommendation is better.

He shows the Aviation Simple Green that is not injurious to aluminum. Regular Simple Green may damage aluminum.

In the engine area there is a minimum of aluminum and I can only think of a few things such as the air cleaner to turbo inlet tube, the bands around the belt tensioners, the oil pan, the valve cover, the transmission housing, the DDEC housing and a few other things. None are likely to suffer any ill effects if you rinse them thoroughly, but that stuff is so good you may want to use if for other things such as cleaning hub grease off the wheels if you get a leak, and in that case you definitely want the Aviation Simple Green.

Here is just one source.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...VB09-00809.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Bruce...there is a distinction that I think you missed. I was talking about the garden variety Simple Green, but John's recommendation is better.

He shows the Aviation Simple Green that is not injurious to aluminum. Regular Simple Green may damage aluminum.

In the engine area there is a minimum of aluminum and I can only think of a few things such as the air cleaner to turbo inlet tube, the bands around the belt tensioners, the oil pan, the valve cover, the transmission housing, the DDEC housing and a few other things. None are likely to suffer any ill effects if you rinse them thoroughly, but that stuff is so good you may want to use if for other things such as cleaning hub grease off the wheels if you get a leak, and in that case you definitely want the Aviation Simple Green.

Here is just one source.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...VB09-00809.php
    I did not notice this. I have been a pilot and flying for over 35 years and never noticed this product was available in an aviation formula.

In Maine our aircraft were always covered with ice, so we were happy to get the ice off and be able to check our fuel tanks for water, stay warm and get up in the air, cleaning was only done in the spring and fall.