Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear View Mirrors/close View, Blind Spot

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannarozzi View Post
    Side view monitors are now becoming somewhat popular on trucks and buses.

This would be a reasonably easy upgrade to install concidering where they are mounted, the door and the drivers fuse panel door.

Very cool and work great
    How about putting a camera where the docking lights are? I never use the docking lights myself.

Jim_Scoggins Guest

This works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Scoggins View Post
    This works.
    How did you connect the mirror, by taking out 2 screws and adding longer screws and washers ? Great Pics Jim, where were you when you took this pic? Looks like a pretty new bridge crossing? Really helpful. Try keeping your eyes on the road next time.

Default Inexpensive color camera

I purchased a small camera and monitor at Costco last year for less than $100.00. It requires 12V to operate the monitor and camera but the signal is wireless. The camera mounts inside a license plate frame but that could be changed. I was going to use it on my toad so I could see what was going on in that area but it now looks like there might be a better use. I tested this thing and the detail is amazing and the little monitor works great. I see no reason why this device couldn't be mounted anyplace within 100' of of the monitor, i.e. the blind spot. I found this one but it only has a 19' range. Of course that would be adequate for a side view/blind spot camera. Here is another built for trucks and RVs that is a complete system albeit more expensive. This one is side-view only at about 1/2 the price.

It seems that I read recently that the DOT is considering the use of camera systems in lieu of mirrors. I also read, maybe rumor, that all 50 states would have to approve this change. I doubt that since the Feds generally regulate interstate commerce and the vehicles involved.

I, for one, am ready to add this equipment. The only consideration I have now is where to mount the monitor(s). The small one can be mounted just about anywhere but a 7" screen will require a bit more imagination. Any ideas?

Darl

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Scoggins View Post
    This works.

Those are the "ugly Velvac" mirrors that Jon wrote about earlier. They were standard Prevost equipment up until the mid 90's. We have them on our bus and while they work better than any other mirrors, Jon is right about the ugly part.

Jim was Northbound on I -295 taking the bypass around Richmond. The structure in the mirror is the Varina-Enon bridge.

mm
    Last edited by MangoMike; 05-17-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

That's pretty good Mike.

You win the ataboy and pat on the back award.

Gotta be carful around your types.

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Bruce:
    Mango was right on regarding the location of the picture.
    I sent you additional photos via email.

Ted and Jon call these mirrors ugly. I call them retro!

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Another look going across the James river.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those Velvac mirrors lack the smooth look of the Crapco mirrors with the failing chrome finish, but because of the construction of the Velvac mirrors and the ability to mount generous sized convex mirrors to the main mirror housing they provided very good all around visibility.

I would replace my Crapco mirrors in a heartbeat (even though they are adjustable with the push of a button) with Velvac if they were available in a polished stainless steel or aluminum. They would not be as pretty, the smaller mirrors would not be as nicely integrated into the unit, but I could see the lanes on both sides of the bus, the full length of the bus plus some of the second lane over to the right. I never had any doubt the adjacent lane was clear when making a lane change. Unlike a TV which would also be nice there was no chance of a failure.