Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear View Mirrors/close View, Blind Spot

Quote Originally Posted by Darl-Wilson View Post
    I purchased a small camera and monitor at Costco last year for less than $100.00. It requires 12V to operate the monitor and camera but the signal is wireless. The camera mounts inside a license plate frame but that could be changed. I was going to use it on my toad so I could see what was going on in that area but it now looks like there might be a better use. I tested this thing and the detail is amazing and the little monitor works great. I see no reason why this device couldn't be mounted anyplace within 100' of of the monitor, i.e. the blind spot. I found this one but it only has a 19' range. Of course that would be adequate for a side view/blind spot camera. Here is another built for trucks and RVs that is a complete system albeit more expensive. This one is side-view only at about 1/2 the price.

It seems that I read recently that the DOT is considering the use of camera systems in lieu of mirrors. I also read, maybe rumor, that all 50 states would have to approve this change. I doubt that since the Feds generally regulate interstate commerce and the vehicles involved.

I, for one, am ready to add this equipment. The only consideration I have now is where to mount the monitor(s). The small one can be mounted just about anywhere but a 7" screen will require a bit more imagination. Any ideas?

Darl
    I really like the truck camera you posted and am thinking it would be nice to have it where my docking lights are on each side. I do not use the lights and don't plan on lading anywhere in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Scoggins View Post
    Bruce:
    Mango was right on regarding the location of the picture.
    I sent you additional photos via email.

Ted and Jon call these mirrors ugly. I call them retro!
    Mango is always right and I'm getting sick an tired of him showing off. I should have known the answer as I have traveled across this bridge several times, although it might be the Savannah River bridge coming into Savannah Ga. right Jim??? Next question: What time of year and what time of day (AM/PM) was Jim crossing this bridge?? Try to get that one right Mango.

Quote Originally Posted by 0533 View Post
    I really like the truck camera you posted and am thinking it would be nice to have it where my docking lights are on each side. I do not use the lights and don't plan on lading anywhere in the dark.
    Bruce, all of these lights can be wired so they are not on 100% of the time. For example your side camera, that might replace a docking light, can be wired (providing the existing wires have the capability to handle the additional load) to the signal lights. When you signal the camera begins operation and goes off when not needed. The camera could be wired for continous operation by using the docking light circuit. Rear cameras are commonly wired to the backup lights. The TV signal in some of this equipment is wireless so the only hardwire needed is to provide 12V to the camera. Lots of options here. I am going to start with the simple Costco camera/monitor I already own and go from there.

Let us know if this replacing the docking light works out for you.

Darl

Quote Originally Posted by 0533 View Post
    Mango is always right and I'm getting sick an tired of him showing off. I should have known the answer as I have traveled across this bridge several times, although it might be the Savannah River bridge coming into Savannah Ga. right Jim??? Next question: What time of year and what time of day (AM/PM) was Jim crossing this bridge?? Try to get that one right Mango.
    Bruce,

January

12:35 pm

In addition: Jim was wearing brown socks and boxers.

Mango
    Last edited by MangoMike; 05-18-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darl-Wilson View Post
    Bruce, all of these lights can be wired so they are not on 100% of the time. For example your side camera, that might replace a docking light, can be wired (providing the existing wires have the capability to handle the additional load) to the signal lights. When you signal the camera begins operation and goes off when not needed. The camera could be wired for continous operation by using the docking light circuit. Rear cameras are commonly wired to the backup lights. The TV signal in some of this equipment is wireless so the only hardwire needed is to provide 12V to the camera. Lots of options here. I am going to start with the simple Costco camera/monitor I already own and go from there.

Let us know if this replacing the docking light works out for you.

Darl
    Please let us know how the install goes and if you are getting the desired results. I am hoping to do the install while underway this summer. We are heading out June 3rd until Oct 17th and will have lots of time to play with the toys.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Bruce,

January

12:35 pm

In addition: Jim was wearing brown socks and boxers.

Mango
    I am getting a sneaking suspicion that Jim was on his way to meet you for dinner in DC or worse you and he have been discussing this off line.

My guess is that its in the fall. The wx is too clear for a Mid Atlantic summer or even late spring, its 1:22 PM on Friday the 17th of Oct 2007. Jim has had his lunch and is heading to Mango Mike land, staying in Cherry Hill Rv park for the night

I don't know how easy this one would be to adapt, but it has Chrome 3 -motorized convex mirrors with optional signal. Go to search by photo and click on the Mirror #2030. They offer them w/o motorized adjustment as well, in Black. http://www.velvac.com/RVs_only/order...er_online.html
    Last edited by garyde; 05-18-2008 at 02:20 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I contacted them when we had a previous discussion about the poor quality of Ramco mirrors and their failing chrome finishes.

They indicated they did not have a base configuration that would conform to the Prevost curve on the body or the hole pattern. They further indicated the wiring is completely different and it would entail major changes to the switches and wiring.

Too bad because the three mirror configuration would have all the benefits of the old Velvac system and would eliminate blind spots. It would probably not corrode as fast as the Ramco mirrors either.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelorme View Post
    Those are the "ugly Velvac" mirrors that Jon wrote about earlier. They were standard Prevost equipment up until the mid 90's. We have them on our bus and while they work better than any other mirrors, Jon is right about the ugly part.
    I think they look retro and are kind of neat, look like they belong on a Beachcraft or Mooney, really cool stuff. Mine look like they belong on a plastic coach, or just about any coach I'm afraid, Remco polished chrome.

I miss the old cab over IH I drove at Halliburton that had the beaver shooting window in the passanger's door and a mirror for it. It was hard for anyone to sneak up on you for sure.

f4ee_1.jpg

I was checking out Alan Hann's coach with the Eaton system on it that has the radar that tells if someone is close to you and then selects a side view camera if you turn on the signal on that side. Pretty sweet set up for sure, so I think these mirrors with the cameras in them will become standard equipment.
    Last edited by Jerry Winchester; 05-18-2008 at 10:12 PM.