Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Diesel Mechanic Near Dallas

Thanks for the info and thread please send me the name and contract info for the mechanic and address Larry and Diane Byrd

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

I saw this thread today and just finished having my bus serviced for an upcoming extended trip to Alaska. I called a service in Buellton, Ca named "R & M" Enterprises, which is a diesel service and general repair, at (805) 688-6969 or 688-2246. He came to my campsite, drained 10 gal of oil, changed all my filters (fuel, oil, coolant), lubed underneath and checked and filled my tires and inspected brakes, hoses, belts, etc, etc,... I was very impressed with the thoroughness and his knowledge of the Detroit Diesel. (One of his favorite engines). His name is Matt Satterthwaite. His mobile rig is impressive and he takes all containers and oil and left over parts. He works on all engine repairs and knows his business. The best part is he is honest and charges a flat $97.00/hour. He charged me for an hour and a half and my total bill came to $156.04 which included Santa Barbara County environmental fees etc. I supplied my own oil and filters. I can't get work on my car done so reasonably. Some of the best money I have ever spent on our bus, except, of course for our POG yearly fee, which is worth every penny! He does work for the Air Force at Vandenberg AFB and has his own business.
    Anyway, if you are ever in the Santa Ynez area you can stay at Flying Flags RV park, or somewhere nearby, or stop by his shop, and get a fair deal with a knowledgeable mechanic.
    By the way, I am not related to him.
    Thanks,
    Tim Sparks

Tim,

You say he charged for an hour and a half. How long did he work?

I have a pit, a commercial lube pump, all the tools, stands (for safety, even with the pit) and while I can do a decent job of changing oil, filters, and lubing the bus there is no way I can do the job in less than 3 hours, and usually 5 hours if I am to inspect everything with the attention to detail that is required.

When I was working on my back before I had a pit, the same work took 5 hours instead of three.

Well... it was longer than an hour and a half. I don't know exactly how long it was, however. I was busy eating and passing out a bunch of the largest strawberries I had ever seen to everyone. My wife brought back a couple of flats of these whoppers. I would guess that it was over 3 hours. He was more interested in being thorough than he was in watching his watch. I would have to believe that he is a better mechanic than a business man. I asked him if he shouldn't have charged more and he said no. I gave him more anyway.
    He probably didn't do as good of a job as you could have though.

He probably did a very good job if he did work more than 3 hours. I am slow and detailed because it is my bus, he is fast and probably more efficient because he does that stuff every day. I responded because 1 1/2 hours was way too little time.