Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Mechanic Near Dallas

Default Diesel Mechanic Near Dallas

I knew for awhile that I had a small leak at my drivers side exhaust manifold. Talked to Stewart & Stevenson back in March and was told to expect the job to run around twelve hundred if no problems came up while doing the work. But, the guy told me to expect at least one stud to break during removal and that would push the price up even more.
    I knew the mechanic that did the code read and ran the valves on my engine last year was somewhere around Dallas, so I called Paul Davis and got his phone number. This guy worked for Stewart & Stevenson for several years and knows his stuff around Detroit Diesel engines. Took the coach to him a week ago today. I also bought and delivered to him new manifold gaskets for both sides, new studs, nuts & washers, 8 gallons of Power Cool antifreeze ($20 a gallon) and told him to call me if he found anything else that needed replacing. We talked several times during the week. He wanted to replace both pyro probes and we found them at Buddy Gregg in Dallas, and new turbo tube clamps.
    Now I will say that my engine has never leaked oil, and before I took the coach to him I cleaned the engine and engine compartment real good. Every time we talked he said something about how nice and clean everything was and it sure made the job go faster.
    OK, all of that to say the mechanic called around noon today to say the coach was ready to pick up. Great, how much cash should I bring with me??
    Well, he says, how about $450 bucks.
    Dang, this guy does BOTH sides and a few other things for one third of what S&S wanted for one side. Yea, I can live with that.
    So, if anyone around Dallas needs a good DD mechanic and is willing to pay below what you might expect, send me a PM and I will get you this guys info.

This is harsh and is meant to be.

S and S seems to be going to the same school Prevost has gone lately. The stories I have heard lately about the Prevost pricing policy is almost identical to what Ted related about S and S and their quote.

The manifold gasket replacement on an 8V92 almost always involves an unintended stud removal and sometimes a broken stud. But since the process actually only involves the removal of the manifolds I would guess that 4 hours per job would involve the glitches that occur, including coolant removal and replacement. The excessive pricing is exactly what Prevost is now doing in Mira Loma and possibly other locations and as a result they are likely going to lose customer loyalty which in the case of both companies has been high.

Our S and S is what I call fair. Last month after traversing a slock slide taking out our oil pan, I took the coach to Commerce City , Co. Harvey, in the bus shop found an oil pan at a sister facility in Dallas for $1219.00. I thought maybe I could do better not satisfied and called DD. They gave me the number of the other DD shop here in Denver, TransWest Trucks who we had used with when we had plastic coaches. They could get me an oil pan out of Freightliner/DD Reno for $924.
    I went back to our S and S, Harvey said they would install anything I bring. so R/R oil pan change out filters since it was time, and I had 10 gallons of Mobil Delvac, likewise coolant filter for $367.00. TransWest gave me a quote using my pan they ordered, do the same servicing, cost almost $600.00 (5 hours labor+ parts and shop supplies. I guess it all depends on where you go and who you know.
    Oh ya, I would like to know the name of that DD mechanic in Dallas.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jim As soon as I read what you paid for that oil pan the red flag went up. I can get a whole used engine for 2500 to 3500 bucks.

So I did some looking around.

The first place I called www.rivercitytruckparts.com 502 957 6829 said they needed to know if it was a front or rear sump the number off of it and 175 bucks. They are in Louisville.

The next call I made was to my local guys who will be calling me back, and will probably be less

Didn't a thousand dollars for a used oil pan seem a little extreme to anyone else???????????????????
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 05-14-2008 at 08:12 AM.

I suspect that the companies that repair our coaches are establishing niches for themselves.

We have historically used Prevost and Detroit Diesel / Allison dealers and as a group have avoided the local truck repair shops. I think in the past we were assured by using those shops such as Prevost and DD that the job would get done right and we would only spend a few more dollars.

This group however has had bad experiences lately with the quality of repairs at the very shops that have used to serve us properly. We have heard lately of ridiculous pricing for certain jobs. We have heard of POG members that have had poor quality repairs and multiple returns until the repairs were finally correct. We have heard of "repairs" actually causing further damage. The problems have not been limited to any specific problem but have ranged from curing the leans, replacing hub seals, air bags, and reskinning the coaches.

The work has either been too expensive, or unnecessary work has been performed, or the repair stretched beyond what was a reasonable time. Some POG members are now specifying a particular mechanic because of bad luck with others. Some POG members are "greasing palms" to get better treatment. Some POG members no longer know what to do because their list of needed repairs never gets finished.

I really think the members of this group need to arm themselves with knowledge about what parts should cost and how much time specific repairs should take. Between us we have either done the work or paid to have the work done, and from our collective knowledge we should be able to create a comprehensive listing of these repair or maintenance items so we can get a clear picture of what a reasonable cost will be for any given task.

Those of us who do our own work are relatively unaffected by the raping that is taking place at repair facilities, but that does not mean we cannot help those who choose to have others do their repairs. It seems that repair shops today are using fixed prices to do repairs with little regard to what is actually involved. These fixed prices seem to be too high, but worse, it was discussed in Pahrump that work that is supposed to be included is often not done. Is there any interest in a work session at an upcoming rally to gather data to include in a document listing material costs and times for common service taskes?

The upper tier repair shops we have traditionally used may be pricing themselves out of the market and perhaps as Ted did we need to find alternative sources for service that will be priced fairly and who will do quality work such as independent shops or charter bus companies.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Anyone care to finance opening a service facility?

I got the time, knowledge and ambition.

Joe, You would be a perfect fit for this type of an operation. Location would probably be the only downfall.

Jon, Let us not forget the sponsors that support POG. If I had a Liberty for example, based on what you have said in the past, I would be at their facility for repairs I couldn't handle myself. Here in Largo, Fl. Parliment has always exceeded my expectations on any repairs they have performed for me. They spend lots of money attending our Rallies and give a generous amount of support. A return on investment example would be truk4u when he drove down here from Ga. to Parliment for repairs. I know you know all this but I just wanted to point out our problem is not with the people we trust.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

We picked up the coach yesterday evening around 6 PM. The engine compartment was neat as a pin. The guy took the time to spray high temp black paint on the manifolds (even the new nuts & washers) and the whole turbo system. Looks great, coach runs great, I'm happy.
    So we visit with the fellow for quite awhile. He worked for S & S for 12 years. Started as an apprentice mechanic and worked as an apprentice for one year. There were never more than two apprentices in the shop at a time back then. After the first year he was turned loose to do any Detroit job that came into the shop, and spent the last 2 1/2 years as the on site Greyhound Bus Line mechanic.
    He said that today, there are so few folks wanting to be diesel mechanics, that there may be ten guys in the shop working as an apprentice. And, after 90 days, they are on their own. This fellow is not bad mouthing S & S, just stating the current state of affairs.
    He said S & S is making him an offer that is going to be hard to turn down, but if he goes back he will still moonlight at his home shop. He is concerned about a conflict of interest and ask me to call him in the evening if I need him.
    A list of shops that we have had good success with would be an asset for POG. Many small shops around the country that still care about the quality of the work they turn out and while most of them will never be a forum sponsor we should share this info some how or another.
    My guy prefers his info not be listed openly, but as I said before, I will be glad to PM his name and number to anyone who needs it.

I wish I had a business where I didn't need potential customers to know of my location or services.

FYI

Mango Mike's
    4580 Duke St.
    Alexandria, Va. 22304

Exotic Eats. Caribbean Beats.

Default Mango Mikes

Mike, I think we need a Rally at your place ! How big is that parking lot anyway. Any R.V.Parks nearby ? What a Blow-Out that would be ! I can just see the Auction now ! ! !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty