Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Extra Belts??

Default Got Extra Belts??

Janet and I left Pahrump about 10:00AM headed north to Hawthorne, NV. About 120 miles into our 260 mile day, I had belt failure on the two belt air conditioner side. So here we are in the middle of nowhere on Hwy. 95 with broken belts. Not to worry. Because this happened to my good buddy Buster sometime ago, I carry a complete set of belts in the bay. 48 minutes later, we are on our way.

I don't tell you this for an "atta-boy". If you don't have a complete set of back up belts, GET THEM and learn how to change them. Who knows how long we would have been stuck out there waiting help!!

Ken

High Five Ken. That's got to make you feel good.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by bluevost View Post

I don't tell you this for an "atta-boy". If you don't have a complete set of back up belts, GET THEM and learn how to change them. Who knows how long we would have been stuck out there waiting help!!

Ken
    So, how does one go about learning how to change them?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adamdegraff View Post
    So, how does one go about learning how to change them?

Adam

The double belt thing is an anomoly with country coach.......

Good on ya Ken, although it is still a pain in the backside to change those things, especially the two that attacked you. I have always been told, aside from carrying a spare set, that it is prudent to change a belt when the writing starts to disappear, be it logo, part number or whatever!

John

God helps those who help themselves.
    Be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by jimshoen View Post
    God helps those who help themselves.
    Be prepared.
    Hi Jim,

I just had my belts changed while at Prevost Jacksonville Fl. The belts looked ok to me. The set of three on the left, one was too large. It was the right number, but was bigger than the rest. When the engine is off and the airbags empty the belts just slip off (98 shell) and they can be changed with no hassle, even I can do this. Which belts are hard to change?

I was also considering the belt upgrade. Where you can change out the three for one large belt. It appears to me that the one belt might last longer than the three separate ones??? The mechanic talked me out of it saying that if one belt failed that I was not stuck?? Your thoughts.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Usually multiple belts are bad. It is too hard to get an exact pair or set and when one runs loose it comes off and takes the others with it, almost every time.

One belt always lasted longer than two on my Mopar and Caterpillar alternators.

Buying two or three of the same belts is not the same as buying a matched set and a matched set is still not as reliable as one.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 05-12-2008 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannarozzi View Post
    Usually multiple belts are bad. It is too hard to get an exact pair or set and when one runs loose it comes off and takes the others with it, almost every time.

One belt always lasted longer than two on my Mopar and Caterpillar alternators.

Buying two or three of the same belts is not the same as buying a matched set and a matched set is still not as reliable as one.
    Hi Joe,

So should I get the upgrade then? I assumed that Detroit changed the belt system for a good reason. The belt looks like it fits better and looks stronger.

Do they come on and off as easily as the three belt system?

How long do belts last, miles, months, years etc. is there a rule of thumb? John mentioned the writing, when it disappears. Of course when they look funky cracked etc then for sure.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

That is what I had Bruce. The way we use these buses usually, they will get outdated before they wear out. Probably every 2 or 3 years would be my time frame.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 05-12-2008 at 08:45 AM.

Speaking of belts, our Liberty (8V) has 2 alternators/belts. Both are very long and tend to slap at low idle, another good reason to use high idle. Has anyone added idler pulleys to these belts? If so would appreciate details of same. A photo would be appreciated. Thanks.