Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longer Lugs for Wheels

Default Longer Lugs for Wheels

Is there a source for longer lugs. Prevost said no. But my lugs do not extend beyond the nuts because of the covers and now the added Balance Masters.

While I was having the Balance Masters installed I was going to have HFI of Atlanta replace all the lugs with longer ones. HFI in Atlanta called Prevost and was told the one on the bus were the stock ones that came with the bus and there were no longer ones.

Is that true?

I was told buy the MVI inspector that the lugs needed to extend beyond the nut to be legal. Mine do not. Thanks.

BTW I like the Balance Masters already. They seem to me to ride smoother.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Lloyd There are many variables here.

What style rims do you have? All aluminum or are the duels insides steel?

If they are the old style with inner and outer nuts, or the new style with just outer nuts.

I am assuming based on your year coach that you have the old style with inner and outer nuts and what you are referring to when you say lug is the inner nuts?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 05-02-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Here are a few photos. One shows the lug with the cover mount and the other is a normal lug. All are short and were short before the Balance Masters were installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

That is the old style rim and nut.

I think your problem is the hub cap bracket is for the new style rims and the holes in it are not big enough to allow the nut to seat down into the tapered hole in the rim.

Orren Zook Guest

Lloyd, you do have a potential failure on your hands there and the DOT here in Ohio would red tag you for those studs too.... not to worry there are several lengths available and you should be able to get them in the Atlanta area without much trouble. Are both the tag and front that short? Would you need 20 of each (left and right) or is just for one axle? Try Georga Brake in Norcross or TNT Parts in Atlanta - maybe Truk has a better contact in that area.

Thanks for the call Joe. I will find out who manufactures the hubs. Best to you.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Orren I went out and checked the studs on our tag and steer and they are the same. Same R8 stamped into them and they are just short (1/32) of flush with the face of the nut.

I'll bet if you check yours you will also have the same setup on those axles.

As I explained to Lloyd and as you well know the inner nuts for the duels come in a multitude of lengths. According to prevo there is only 1 length available for those other two axles.

Take a closer look at those pictures and I think you will see that it is the wrong hub cap bracket that is the culprit.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 05-02-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Hey guys, it looks to me like those studs were intended for steel wheels. The steel wheels are much thinner and if I remember correctly, close to 1/2 inch at the holes. I took off aluminum dual inners this Jan and replaced with steel because of a width problem with my fender flares, but I don't remember the exact thickness. It was quire a bit. The steel wheels are 8.25 and the aluminum are 9.00.

Is it possible at some point Lloyd's bus had steel wheels instead of aluminum?

Orren Zook Guest

Those are his fronts or tag studs - no inner nut is visible and the R8 indicates grade 8. Maybe we run nut covers and hub caps because the studs are too short!?! I'll pull my nut covers when I get to work and let you know Joe.
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 05-03-2008 at 06:06 AM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Truk, not the case. I'm tellin ya I went out and looked at mine and it is the exact same situation. The studs are almost flush with the lug nuts with aluminum rims and according to someone who looked into it for Lloyd at Prevo there is only one length available for the steer and tag.

I still say that the holes are too small in the bracket for his chrome hub cap cover because it is for the new style uni-lug rims and is not allowing the nut to seat into the tapered hole of the old style rim compounding the problem of the just long enough studs to begin with.