Thread: metric allison

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Default metric allison

Crawled under coach to drain tranny so I could fill it up with Transysnd. Pan drain rain plug --no problem--3/8 drive worked fine. Took a 9/16 and a 5/8 socket under with me in anticipation of changing the filters.
    Nope. You guessed it.
    15mm.

I can get under the coach and back just fine. It's my fat butt and belly that has the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Scoggins View Post
    Crawled under coach to drain tranny so I could fill it up with Transysnd. Pan drain rain plug --no problem--3/8 drive worked fine. Took a 9/16 and a 5/8 socket under with me in anticipation of changing the filters.
    Nope. You guessed it.
    15mm.

I can get under the coach and back just fine. It's my fat butt and belly that has the problem.
    POOTIE, quick, bring me a 15mm 3/8" drive socket.

Jim, are you changing your filters as well, I believe you need to fill them before installing.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jim_Scoggins Guest

garyde:
    Didn't change the filters as they were new last August--just loosened the bolts to the filters so I could get a more complete drain.

Just another aggravation about having dealerships do stuff for you. Had asked that they install Transynd when they were doing the PDI--they didn't.
    Told them I would pay for the Transynd vice their Dextron. It does get old.

My plan: I will change the filters some time next year, followed in about a year with another fluid change: That should pretty much complete the change over. In the Allison 4060 application one will loose almost two gallons with a filter change. I figure periodic filter change will take care of any residual Dextron.

Just for info, I let it drain for two days. One would be surprised how much more fluid comes out after the initial dump.

At any rate, I was surprised that the tranny was metric. Will add a 15mm socket to my carry list.

You cannot prefill the filters on an Allison six speed. They are a pleated type that are sitting on a plate. There are two filters.

What cannot be removed is the fluid that remains in the intercooler unless you start some serious disassembly.