Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Alert !!!!/ Toad Air Brake Tn rally

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Converters all use the engine area differently. Virtually all the space accessible through the rear doors is occupied or required to access something, like the electrical box.

That leaves the RH side door above the batteries. Unfortunately that space is occupied in various ways also. Some coaches have house batteries above the chassis batteries and some have boxes designed to hold sewer hoses or other stuff like emergency reflectors.

I don't think AFO can approach every Prevost as a custom installation. They would go nuts trying to fabricate brackets and supports and other mounting devices depending on the type shell, the age of the shell or the converter.

So if the engine area is out, the next logical place is on the forward bulkhead in front of the drive axle. Unfortunately Prevost has used that space to mount the system for the hydraulic stabilizators on some coaches, and some converters like CC have used that open space to hold a condensing coil for their AC system making access to the bulkhead out of the question.

Behind the front bumper? Nope, some fill it with Cruise Airs, others have a drawer there, and some use it for things like the aux air compressor.

Steer compartment? Nope, some owner have hose reels or aux air compressors there.

In a bay? Nope, no two converters use bay space the same so there wouldn't be anything standard there.

That leaves between the tag and drive axles, and even that is going to be tough standardizing because of the accumulator tanks.
    I have sealed off the brake air leak, removed all valves, cut, crimped, sealed, taped, wire tied, glued and wire crimped all lines, tested the bus brake air, 130lbs blew off nicely and seems to be holding well.

I placed 2X12's boards under the Tag axle jack points, placed 2 20 ton jacks at each point plus 2 12 ton can't have too many and went to town.

I must say that even with the bus aired up higher in the back and the jacks underneath with some extra jacking it is still somewhat of a tight space to crawl into, but once there and sitting on your butt looking up there is enough room.

I am still not overly exited about being in and getting to and from this space.

I did not take any pictures because there was not much to offer, as all major parts are either dangling on the ground or simply gone, sorry.

I simply cut away both valves and all three lines, capped them off carefully especially the main line from the Bus air brake. I crimped each line about 8"s, used a mental locking ring, 3 on each line, tape, a new type of super glue in the open end, then heavy duty tape along the entire crimped section, I think it is very tight now. I finally wire tied the finished product up to and along the run of hoses that were wire tied above the air lines, I think it is good to go for a long trip if needed, and with IKE heading at us CAT4 I just might close the shutters, grab some steaks and head on down the road.

Wow, what an ordeal. It's good to hear that you are ready to be mobile again! Best of luck on getting that taken care of. I'm glad to hear that the AFO guys will stand behind it and get you replacement gear.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Wow, what an ordeal. It's good to hear that you are ready to be mobile again! Best of luck on getting that taken care of. I'm glad to hear that the AFO guys will stand behind it and get you replacement gear.

Ray
    Thanks Ray,

I will let you all know how the reinstall goes next week.

Default SMI Updated Brake System Air Leaks ??

While up on the lift at Prevost car checking for air leaks replacing Norgren valves spending money etc I had the mechanic spray his soapy water all over the new one piece SMI Toad Brake system to check for leaks, the system had five leaks in it at every connection.

I had it removed and placed on the work bench, replaced all connections had each carefully installed and torqued down and reinstalled the entire system and really screwed down this time, no leaks now, 2 hours of tech time.

Here is my conclusion about the system. It does work and the idea is good, but the install done under the bus on the ground by folks who in my case may never had any experience under a bus is not the perfect way to install an important item as this is. I would not have it done by anyone who has no Bus experience and not unless it is in the air and easy access.

And finally the actual parts could be better more robust for the application in my opinion, they do not look as strong and sturdy as the rest of the Prevost air system is.

I like the guys at SMI and respect their idea and realize that the added cost and time required to have our buses up on a rack would add real $ to the overall install, but if you add up the expense , in my case to replace the system and, repair it twice now the extra cost for a more robust version installed properly would not have been expensive in the long run.

I do recommend SMI but please make sure it is installed by qualified people with Prevost experience under the right conditions.
    Last edited by 0533; 01-31-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Bruce,

I strongly agree. The system is good...... but the install could (and should) have been much better.

Next time I'm under I want to check for leaks.....

Thanks Bruce, I've been waiting for your final opinion.

JIM

For a shop installed (most likely Camping World) Brakemaster system, where is the brake (air) line connection made? I gather it is teed off one of the wheel brake cylinder actuator lines with a fitting (tee) that replaces an existing straight fitting? I ask because I need to know beforehand how this should go, typically; we are planning a two month trip this year and I suppose I will tow this time, first time with a towed car rather than a trailer.

Thanks.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Yes Ken that is where they get it from on the units I have encountered.