Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When bigger isn't better

Default When bigger isn't better

As many of you are aware, I am in the process of acquiring a 45er. Consequently, I am looking for a toad that is functional and will keep me legal in most states. I understand that CA enforces the 60' limit regularly. My family will want to travel in CA so I am looking for good toad options in the short variety. I would appreciate any thoughts.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The first 2 that come to mind would be a Saturn or Mini-Cooper. The Saturn is more convenient for towing but the Mini definitely has more style.

For a no-brainer toad the Jeep Wrangler comes to mind. Short, towable with the proper transfer case no matter which transmission and no towing restrictions on speed or distance.

I agree with Jon. We love our Wrangler. It parks anywhere and gives you an off road option if desired.

California is 65', not 60 as posted.

Kevin we went from our Tahoe to an GMC Envoy 4wd V8. All hooked up to our 45 ft. Liberty using a Blue Ox 10K rated hitch and their kit for the 2008 Envoy we measure exactly 65 ft. The Envoy is 10" shorter than the Tahoe.
    Really like the Envoy. GM is replacing it with some other model and it's longer and resembels a pregnant mini van. We bought the last V8 Envoy to be found in Arizona. If your going that way better hustle. The travel set up is like the Tahoe. Put the transfer case in nuetral, shift to park, leave key in, release the Jon brake, kill the battery power and boogie. I put a battery disconnect switch under the hood, no dead battery at the end of the trip. No speed or distance restrictions for towing.
    Last edited by hhoppe; 04-23-2008 at 09:14 AM.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

ajhaig Guest

Default Battery disconnect switch?

Harry,

Why do you have the battery disconnect switch?

We tow our Suburban behind our 40 ft coach with the Roadmaster tow bar set up. I notice that after a long trip when I start the Suburban the battery is very weak, there have been times when I didn't think it would start.

Perhaps I need a battery disconnect switch?

AJ

With our 04 Tahoe you remove the key so there is no draw on the battery. The Tahoe was not equipped with a steering wheel lock.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

AJ,
    I put a battery disconnect on my 99 Suburban, there is a small back light that allows you to see what gear the transmission is in. This does not go out with the key in the correct position that allows the steering not to lock.

ajhaig Guest

Thanks Kevin... Our Suburban is a 2005, we can remove the key without locking the steering column. I may install a battery cut off to see if it makes a difference.

Just in case... The "Jump n Carry" arrived today!
    Attached Images Attached Images