Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jacking Points on a 45' with Independent Front Suspension

Default Jacking Points on a 45' with Independent Front Suspension

I looked in my Prevost manuals, and they show the jacking points for a straight front end. I want to make sure I know where the spots are for an independent front end on an XL.

The first picture shows the frame looking backward from the front axle. I am assuming the jacking points are under the frame, just above the edge of my concrete on each side.

The second picture is facing forward and I am assuming the jacking point is on the left at the edge of the concrete where the "T" brace is showing in the picture.

The third pictures shows the front suspension. I am assuming the flat spot in the very middle of the picture is the jacking point for the suspension itself. Not the round spot, but the rectangle post that is protruding downward.

I need to deflate my front tires so I can add liquid balancer to them. Is it going to hurt anything, if I don't jack up the vehicle? Can I just let the air out of one side at a time, add the balancing agent, and air them back up?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dale farley; 04-22-2008 at 05:03 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale,

Jacking and supporting the coach are such serious issues that I hope you speak directly to Prevost for clarification.

I suspect that the support/jack point is directly beneath a vertical member of the sub-frame front or rear, but you need to verify that rather than speculate.

I would not deflate the tires unless the bus is supported. Even if it does no damage, how will you deal with it if the tire bead is broken and you cannot re-inflate the tire?

Jon,

I haven't done any jacking on the front end and don't intend to until I get some sound advice. I was hoping someone had a later manual that actually shows the jacking points.

Good point about letting the air out and breaking the bead. I guess I won't be doing that until I know the proper places to support it.
    Dale & Paulette

Also, I would not place a jack close to the edge of your pit. I would stay back 18 inches or so if you can.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

If the jacking points are where I think they are, I can't jack the front end up while over the pit.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale,

There is a Prevost spiral bound manual that shows all jacking points, front and rear, for 40 and 45 coaches. If you do not have this, call Prevost and they will send you one. When I bought my bus I called Prevost to check on any outstanding recalls and to let them know who the new owner was in the event of a future recall. The lady I spoke with asked me about this manual and I did not have it so she sent it free of charge.

Denny

Thanks Denny, I wasn't aware of this.
    Dale & Paulette

Seems like this would be a good topic for a seminar at a rally.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

I agree with Jim on this one about needing a seminar. I am totally surprised that there are not more that know where the jacking points are located on a 45" with independent suspension. I assume the rear will be the same as the straight axle models, but I haven't looked yet.

I guess I am really confused about this one point. I know there had to be some 45' XL owners with independent front ends who purchased the stands from Jon. How do those owners know where to place the stands? Am I missing something here? After I started this thread, I do realize that most of the owners have a straight axle or an XLII. I guess it is only the some of the people who have a 98-99-2000 model XL that my question applies to? I'm not even sure that is correct?

I'll be on the phone this morning with Prevost asking for the book Denny mentioned.
    Last edited by dale farley; 04-23-2008 at 09:15 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

After talking to Prevost Parts, I was referred to Bill Jensen to get a definite answer on the jacking points. He was under a coach, and I was under mine, so I was able to verify exactly where the points are.

As I suspected, the points in the first picture I posted are the correct points. If you notice in the picture, there is a flat spot on each side where the insulation has been removed. The spots are at the rear of the "A" shaped bracket in the picture, about 16" from the center on each side. Bill said on some coaches, there is a plate on each side, on others (such as mine) there is no plate, just a flat spot.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dale farley; 04-23-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Dale & Paulette