Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 30 Amp Electric Connection a Problem?

Default Is 30 Amp Electric Connection a Problem?

We plan to go to Yellowstone for several weeks. The place we will be staying only has a 30 amp hookup. Will this setup have any adverse affect on our electric system other than not being able to run everything at one time? I don't think one of the cheater boxes would do me any good, but I've never tried to use one before.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale,

The cheater adaptor will work very well if you have 2 separate 30 amp connections. It will give you a total of 60 amps for your 50 amp system.

If you can not connect to separate 30 amp connections and you have to run on 30 amps, just watch your amp meters to see how much you are drawing and turn off accessories as needed. You will probably be able to run 1 AC unit off of CG electric; you could always run the other AC off of the inverter.

When we were in Yellowstone (June) it was very cold at night. Don't think you will be needing the AC units, but you never know. Enjoy your trip
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Dale,

We did the 30 amp at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone with our coach and the only thing we couldn't do was run the electric cook top or run all the Cruisairs at once. But it was cool at night and we really only ran the heat at night then a vent fan with the windows open during the day. When we had to use the stove I fired up the generator. We mostly cooked outside.

I didn't have or use a cheater box but I have one now.

Jerry,

Would a cheater box have done any good at Fishing Bridge? I obviously don't understand how the box works. I din't think many campground connections had two 30 amp connections that are on different legs so you could end up with 50-60 amps.
    Dale & Paulette

I think I'll get a cheater box just in case I can use it while I'm in Yellowstone. I see one on eBay for $79 including shipping. Has anyone seen one cheaper?
    Dale & Paulette

Smile

Dale, its more simple than you think. Remember in the electrical box we had last week in Tn. it had a 50 amp plug with a breaker, it had an 30 amp plug with breaker, and it had a 15/20 amp plug with breaker. The cheater box uses the 30 amp plug and the 15/20 amp plug at the same time and combines the two to give you a total of 50 amps going into the bus. Bill

Dale,

Some CGs, not many, have the power pedestals about 6" apart. There is a municipal CG in Wichita Falls, TX on I-44 that is like this. For instance, site #1 & #2 are parallel but the MHs park in opposite directions, one heading north & the other heading south. If you are in #1 and #2 is unoccupied you can plug in your 30 amp cheater into #2 and hope that no one comes in to #2 during the night.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Bill, That does sound simple enough.
    Dale & Paulette

Would one of you guys that has a Cheater Box, be a little more specific about the unit, please? Like mfg. or actual names of these little darlings?

I would like to find one as well.

Thanks

Gary S.

Is there any way to determine if there is two separate circuits without taqking the front panel of the box?
    GregM