Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 KVW Jan Martin Generator

Jack and Tuga,

Excuse me if this seems like a really stupid question, but I just gotta ask. Both of you have indicated that while boondocking, you ran your generator 24 hours a day. My question is "why would you run the generator all day?"

Instinctively I would have assumed that generators would be run "once-in-awhile", depending upon need for A/C or recharging batteries, or similar. I wouldn't have thought of running 24 hours a day. So, I was just a bit curious about it.

Ray

........wife

Ray,

Let me tell you why we crank up the generator and run it.

Comfort.

We all paid a lot of money for our generators and we pay a lot of money in fuel to drag that weight around with us. We might as well use it. Otherwise do what your converter did with OTR and pull the generator out and use the bay for storage.

We crank up the ACs, turn on the TVs, light the lights, cook, and do all the energy usage we want because we are cranking out up to 20,000 watts. It is nice to not have to worry about the state of charge on the batteries, or to have to open windows to get comfortable, or to spend time at the electric panel worrying about what switches to turn off to keep from blowing a breaker or depleting the batteries.

Mango's answer was correct. This ain't camping.

Ray,It was hot all day and only 70 or so overnight so I ran it 96 hours straight and then changed the oil and filters for another go.

I left out that I have 2500 watt inverters and I must run the gen to run the AC.

Jon, I certainly get the point about the usage. Just with me, I'd have probably not run it during the day when I was gone, and also probably not at night when going to bed. I personally am a light sleeper, and woudn't enjoy trying to sleep with a running generator.

But, I certainly understand now how others would ....

Ray

Default Generator fuel consumption

When changing the filters recently on my 20KW with a Kubota , curiousity got the best of me and I ran it a few hours on a container graduated in ounces. 4/10 GPH with no load other than it's associated fan and pump. Light load of battery charging and one AC unit made very little difference. 12 gallons per day seems about right

It sure looks like a lot of fuel being used when measured in ounces.......

For comparison, my 6 KW Kubota diesel in another vehicle uses 3/10 GPH, about 8 gallons per day.

Quote Originally Posted by jimblu View Post
    When changing the filters recently on my 20KW with a Kubota , curiousity got the best of me and I ran it a few hours on a container graduated in ounces. 4/10 GPH with no load other than it's associated fan and pump. Light load of battery charging and one AC unit made very little difference. 12 gallons per day seems about right

It sure looks like a lot of fuel being used when measured in ounces.......

For comparison, my 6 KW Kubota diesel in another vehicle uses 3/10 GPH, about 8 gallons per day.
    Great post Jimblu, there has been some discussion on this forum about the economics of installing a smaller generator to save fuel. Your test just proved that it is not worth the investment. Thanks.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

It is great to see someone verify the usage of these big generators,I was surprised that mine did not burn a lot more than 50 gallons in 4days!The first trip I was sure that I must have made a mistake in caculating or filling up the tank after the weekend,but after the second trip I was sure that about .5 GPH was correct.