Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entrance Door Won't Open - "Barney" Inside

Default Entrance Door Won't Open - "Barney" Inside

Coming back from Sevierville we stopped for the night at a campground in Virginia. After checking in, parking in my space, plugging in, etc. - it was time to get Barney (my Basset Hound) and take him for a walk. I went to the entrance door as I have done hundreds of times before and pulled the handle - then a funny sound - and the handle pivoted as usual put nothing happened. Maybe the door was locked - so I put in my door code - I heard the deadbolt solenoid click but still the handle did nothing. Well maybe the linkage from the solenoid broke - I just put the key in the lock and turned the key - I felt the deadbolt moving in and out, but the door handle still did nothing. Now I'm getting scared - how do I get the door open?

After a bit of panic (maybe more than a bit) - I did the following:

I opened the service door on the drivers side. Since the little operable window is attached to door I was now able to stick my arm into the coach. I reached in and turned on the ignition. Then with a stick I was able to push on the switch to open the window on the entrance door. I walked around the bus and reached in and was able to open the door using the interior door handle. Barney was thrilled. After a few more Kahlua drinks I expect Laura to make a full recovery.

FYI - after removing the interior door panel I found a somewhat complicated little mechanical assembly which was inoperable due to a pin that had sheared off. I will order a new assembly from Prevost tomorrow. It was fortunate the interior handle does not use that assembly to release the latch.

Miles and Laura Circo (and Barney)
    2004 Country Coach XLII 45' D/S

Miles,Prevost has had a problem with the XLII exterior door handle breaking,they will replace them free with a updated version.If the handle fails and you cannot use your neat trick you have to drill out the center behind the handle to get to the mechanism to open the door.I had mine replaced by Liberty last year,and I think that Prevost will send the parts free to any converter.You were smart to be able to get in so quickly.My wife and I had a great time in TN,wish we could have stayed longer.Jack

Miles,

Since Barney is already smart enough to run your family as center of the universe, couldn't he figure out how to get the door open from the inside.

... or maybe he just wanted the coach for himself.

mm
    Last edited by MangoMike; 04-20-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Actually Guido told me he would have been capable of picking the lock. He said his friend Barney told him he had this planned and as long as his head was out of the window he considered himself out and, the fact that you were outside was fine with him.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Jack - Thanks for the tip - I will try to get Prevost to send me the new version at no cost.

Mike - Barney enjoys testing his owner on a regular basis. I'm not sure if it was a test of his owner's ability or dedication. Or maybe it's just his version of fetch. I just hope when he is refilling his water dish he doesn't leave the faucet on and empty my tank and run the pump dry.

Rick - Be advised - Barney shared a number of his other secrets with Guido - only time will tell

Touché Barney

Default Barney's Rescue

Seemed to me that Barney is a pretty laid back pup these days. How do you tell when he is excited?

Glad to hear you were able to get in with or without the oscilloscope and that Laura is ok.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Miles
    how about an update and part# needed to update the XLII?
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Jack was correct that the entrance door mechanism for the XLII Motorhome has been redesigned. Prevost has a kit # 288556 which contains most of the items to upgrade the mechanism. The kit consists of the following - Rod #288200, Rod #288201, Trigger Assembly #288552, Holding Plate #288814, Gasket #288815, Handle Assembly #780713 and Instruction Sheet #IS-03090. In addition, I was told the following parts must be ordered seperately 2 Clips #504541 and 2 Clips #504243. (I'm not sure yet but I believe these may be salvaged from the old mechanism and may not need to be ordered).
    I received the items today and I will install them later this week. Some small modification to the door is required to accomodate the new handle. The modification involves enlarging the cutout in the door for the new door handle.
    The bad news is that they are not giving this away - the cost for the kit is $377.46 and the 4 clips are about $5.00 each. I plan to call Bill Jensen tomorrow to discuss Prevost's responsibility for this upgrade.

Miles & Laura Circo
    2004 Country Coach XLII 45' D/S