Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: H340 Wanted

You can probably use the search capabilities of the forum here to find out more info, but to answer your question briefly.

OTR air (sometimes called bus air), is a very large (7 ton if I remember) compressor driven by the engine (via belt). It is the air conditioning system that you may be familiar with seated coaches, and is designed to cool a large bus, with a lot of people.

As part of the system, there are other components (consdensers, coolers etc) which take up at least most of one storage bay, perhaps more.

With OTR air, you would never have air conditioning issues when traveling cross country, even in extreme heat.

Objections to OTR include:

* generally had a large cost associated with it initially
    * uses up some engine horse power
    * loss of a storage bay

Some find it an absolutely essential part of their purchase decisions, while others dont.

Ray

OTR uses about 20 inches in depth on a bay in each side of the coach. That is the total loss of space because between the condenser section and the evaporator section is the fuel tank(s). The rest Ray said is correct.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Default OTR Air

Unfortunately I know first hand what the repair costs are. Oh I know buses aren't for sissys. I also know that the drivers loop leaves much to be desired in terms of performance.

We were very excited when we got around to having it repaired.

We have an R-12 system and with 24 pounds of the stuff to fill it we should not have to run the front cruise-air to keep the cockpit cool enough, but we do. I have also used a box fan running off the inverter blowing cold air from the back of the bus forward.

I think I remember others with the same disappointment with the drivers loop.

I don't care how much glass there is up there or how hot it is outside a system that large and expensive should not have ANY issues.

It seems to me that there must be buses with OTR Air that preform in greatly varying degrees. I would like to think that there are buses out there that do a way better job up front than ours.

Do not assume that just because it has it it will freeze you out. If I were buying again and the bus had it I would want to test it in the drivers seat going down the road on a very hot day driving into the sun, after all isint this senerio a common one? If I could not I would make an offer that reflected what a bus without it is worth.

Ray you say 7 ton? I thought it was 10 ton/70000 BTU ?????

Consider this. I definitely think that a bus without OTR A/C should be outfitted with roof airs because sometimes under extreme conditions they will be needed without it and roof a/c has better operating characteristics while under way. The absence of both the Prevost OTR system and cruise air combined makes a very significant difference in storage space, especially in a 40ft bus.

Tullys camper has the CC version of OTR air with the smaller compressor but three zones. Might not cool the back of the bus going down the road as well as the Prevo OTR but I do not ride back there I'm driving and I would be willing to bet that his cockpit will be just as cool as mine for a whole lot less money to repair and maintain.

Folks looking at one of these buses with a budget in mind should definitely consider the cost of maintaining this Prevo OTR system as well as repair costs should it be needed.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-24-2008 at 10:15 PM.

OTR is definately an advantage driving just about anywhere in the spring and summer. It will keep everyone cool driving in 105 degree temperatures. My kids will sit in the bedroom with blankets , watching tv while it will be extremely hot outside. In the winter, the reverse is true, it can be 30 degrees outside and nice and toasty inside. I've owned other Coaches, but OTR is the best. No running generators to run A/C units, and relatively quiet.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

jkbriggs Guest

Default On the Level?

I appreciate the input from all of you! Next question: Do Prevost's typically have leveling systems? I'm finding that the ads don't usually mention it. Maybe this is because its standard equipment? If so, are they hydraulic systems?

Most Prevost I am familar with do not have external leveling systems. The vehicle itself has an airbag leveling system which is used during driving, and while parking.

Some coach converters like Country Coach will sometimes add a computer controller to the built-in leveling system of the coach. Others require you to manually dump/add air to level when parking.

Orren Zook Guest

Phil Cooper is giving one (H3-40) away: http://www.philcooper.com/details.php?v_id=349

jkbriggs Guest

So, if I understand correctly, most any Prevost can be leveled, but it is done through the air-suspension system? This is interesting. I have a motor home with air-suspension but leveling can only be done via the add-on hydraulic system (as far as I know).

jkbriggs Guest

Thanks for the tip about Phil Coopers. I'll look into it.

JK, it ids not too late to sign up for Pahrump. Even if you do not have a coach. In fact people should come to our rallies BEFORE they get a coach.

The knowledge you will gain will be compared to drinking from a fire hose because there will be coaches and owners. The owners do not have an axe to grind so you will get straight answers and you will get to see coaches and learn the systems.

You are about to spend a ton of money, and a whole bunch after that if you are a typical buyer fixing things and changing the bus to suit your needs. What you spend to get to a rally will be chump change compared to what you will be spending on a bus, and it will be the only thing you spend money on related to a bus where you come out ahead.

The only down side is you will get to meet us.