Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: H340 Wanted

Are you looking to start a war? Do you want the truth? Why would you expect a Liberty owner to brag about a Marathon? (Except for Mango).

All kidding aside I will admit to a strong bias toward Liberty and in favor of over the road air. But in the used coach market what you are looking for is not the most common coach in the world and you are not going to be presented with a lot of choices. Just do not limit your options as you are doing unless you have no choice.

jkbriggs Guest

Your right, I shouldn't have asked the question in that manner. Although I am a "motorhomer" and familiar with those systems, I don't understand the over-the-road air? I have seen it advertised in some ads, so it must be important?

JK,

I sent you a PM (private message) a couple of days ago. Just wanted to make sure you received it.

You can link to it the upper right hand corner. Right below where it says Welcome, JKBriggs.

Mike

The issue of OTR versus inverter or generator powered Cruise Airs or roof airs has been debated on this and the prevost-stuff forums.

Those of us who have OTR generally will not have a coach without it. I think if you do a search you can find the discussions and form an opinion about if you need it or not. Most H3 coaches in the early years had it.

We test drove a Marathon on a hot day and used the inverter and 2 cruise airs. We were comfortable for the duration of the test drive but, admittedly, we didn't spend all day travelling.

However, our Liberty has OTR air and, even on a hot day, you can chill the bus down to a point where your teeth will chatter.

If you really want it cold in the bus, regardless of the outside temps, OTR air conditioning is probably for you.

There are, of course, other mechanical and maintenance considerations.

In the long run, it's probably beneficial to keep your options open in order to give yourself as much of a selection as possible. To borrow a quote, "the used bus factory is closed."

Hope you find the right bus for you and that you are ultimately as happy with it as we are with our Liberty.

Default Cruise Air Mods

This is probably a little off topic but hopefully Jim Shoen will be able to make a contribution about solving the Cruise Air 'Hot Day' problem here on the forum or in Pahrump. Ask Jim for the particulars. The cure sounds good but what do I know, I have roof air and dash air ducted to the rest of the coach.

Darl

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Please post some pictures along with an explanation of the mods.

jkbriggs Guest

Sorry, being new to this site, I didn't notice the message. I have truly considered the XL, but I find that I'm a bit of a "modernist" and not so much of a "traditionalist". I really like the exterior look of an H. Because of fewer $ to spend, most H345's are out of reach unless they half-a-million miles on them. I have a 36' Alpine Coach now and think the extra 4' of an H340 would he helpful. I find that life requires a delicate balance of "wants" and "wants I can actually afford".

jkbriggs Guest

I'm sure this has been explained elsewhere in this forum, but could you tell me (briefly) how OTR works? Is it powered by the engine similar to a "dash air" system? Thanks in advance for the education.

OTR uses a large engine driven compressor and it is a whole coach heating and AC system. Just like in your car only bigger. A lot bigger.

If the coach does not have OTR is will have drivers air and it will have an AC compressor not much bigger than the one in your car, and it will only bring cool air out of the dash ducts. You will need to run your other AC units to cool the balance of the coach.