Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: low house battery

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Well you have 2 big things in your favor. You have a Liberty and a call to them will bare fruit for sure. They will be very helpful troubleshooting and be able to tell you how the bus was originally set up and where that charging rate was originally.

You also have Jon who will undoubtedly chime in as soon as he sees you are having issues.

I think you are correct to wait and get more info before moving any further.

Be sure to post up the results.

Judy,

I don't know how your Liberty is set up, but if you have followed the posts on this thread you know you have to make sure your batteries are being charged properly. If your gells are swelling they are seeing heat, too much voltage or both.

Tell us about your inverter or charger and we can go from there.

Judy,

To add to my previous comments and for the benefit of everybody here, your coach may or may not have been a good candidate for gel cell batteries.

But, not that you have them it is imperative that you make sure they are being charged in a way that meets their requirements. You will have to do some detective work to be sure your charging system, which includes the bus alternator your inverter, charger, or converters is charging the batteries so as not to damage them.

If this is confusing go to the article that is on the POG website about Prevost Electrical Systems. It tells you more than we can cover here, and it will be presented in greater detail by Truk and me in Spearfish. The short version is your batteries, both house and chassis require a charge rate and or voltage that is consistent with their particular requirements. Going further, whoever installed your batteries should have known this, should have verified you coach was set up for a specific type of battery, or should have adjusted it if possible to be consistent with the batteries that are installed.

Some charging systems are not adjustable. If that is the case with yours, and the charge is inappropriate for gel cell batteries you might as well plan on replacing them with lead acid or AGM assuming the charge protocol is OK for them.

Tell us specifically if you have inverters, converters, an auxiliary charger for the chassis, and what brand or model they are. There is bound to be someone on this forum that has the same equipment and can advise if they are suitable for your batteries. Also tell us where your batteries are installed in the coach. This may have nothing to do with the charging, but everything to do with an environment that is too hot for your gel cell batteries. Some gel cell batteries will pop open at a sustained 130 degrees.

Your problems, and those of Patty are identical so the more both of you reveal the easier it is to zero in on the solution.

I'm trying to visualize 9 Gel Batteries for your Coach Am I reading this correctly?
    If this is correct, how did you wire them together? Can you also indicate the type, and size of your inverters.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide