Thread: Tire Size

Default Tire Size

Hi Everyone,

I received this question that I just cannot answer.....any ideas??

"I need to buy new tires for my 2001 XL2. I have 3.15 80 series on back but have
    3.65x65 on front. I need some help on whether I should replace the rear with
    3.15s or 3.65s
    and will the larger tires fit on the existing rims. Thanks.

Nick 60457"

John

John, I am sure that the 365 size tire requires a different size rim. Unless your friend wants to buy 2 more rimes, he should just keep it the way it is.

John,

My recollection from earlier posts is the 365 are good for the steers and tag, but to large for the drives. There is not enough space between the tires.
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

This is more of a weight issue than a tire size issue. Is there a reason to use 365's on the tag? Your freind should have the coach weighed for each individual wheel . I have not heard of anyone with 365's on the tag .
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Good morning,

The 365 tires require a different wheel and lug nut pattern. You can if you want place them on the steer and tag axle. They will not work on the drive axle. The reason for using the larger tire is for weight and pressure requirements as Gary stated.

Several years ago when we had our 2002 XLII Marathon one slide, we explored the larger sized tires. (365's) They said we would have smoother ride, since for our front axle weight the pressures would be around 20 psi lower than the OEM 315's. so we would have run about 105 psi up front.
    It would have required the new tires X 4, new rims X 4, and new sealed greased hubs X 4. Plus the labor to do it, we were quoted around $8,000.00. Along with the fatter tires, the newer shells have larger front air bags that inflate with lower pressure as well. This enhances the smooth ride of the 365's. Problem with mounting the 365's on a coach that didn't have them to start with, there is a static turning difficulty. The newer shells have a "Slave Cylinder" on the drag link to aid in static wheel turning. A friend ours in Coach 726, a Marathon 2002 "H" placed the large tires on his coach and now he is unable to turn the steer tires in place. He must roll the coach to turn. The wider footprint has more pavement friction.
    It is a cheaper way to update an older coach, than buying a new one.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40