Thread: A/C won't col

Hybrid View

Default A/C won't col

My aft a/c doesn't want to cool...seems like the compressor is not kicking on. Is there a seperate breaker for the compressor (besides on the panel)?
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

Granvil: Sounds like thermostat or thermostat wire problem. If the compressor is not even trying to run, it's probably not receivng the signal from the stat. Reset the thermostat to try and get it to run. As we have all found volt meter and an amp meter checks are our first line of defense with electrical problems. If a low voltage transformer gets shorted out it will need to be replaced before the controls will function. I hope it's this simple.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Granvil, There isn't a separate breaker for the fan and the compressor. If you don't hear the compressor try to start, Harry is probably right about the thermostat.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Gran....what kind of AC? Roof? Cruise Air? Converter?

It is a cruise air....and this morning the compressor has kicked on but it is not to cold. I am wondering if it might be low on freon and the low side switch is kicking it off? I didnt get a P/S indication however.
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

Gran, you can visually see if it has sufficient freon if you can get the compressor to kick on.

On the condensing unit there is a sight glass. When the charge is correct it will flow with some bubbles. If it is clear it is overcharged, if it is foamy or you can't see any evidence of liquid flow it likely needs freon.

Verify the condensing fan is running and that the condenser coil is free of dirt and debris. Both of those conditions will cause it to fail to function also. I am assuming the compressor does come on although it may not run after a while.

If the compressor does not come on at all it could be a bad compressor, bad run capacitor or bad start capacitor. As pointed out previously the control or thermostat could be bad or just need to be recalibrated.

If the compressor does not start, swap out capacitors with one that does work to rule them out.