Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KVH TracVision A7

Default Pricing.

Tully, I don't think they compete with their retailers. Check for a seller in your area for retailers and installers. They can give you a package price. You can also call TracStar for a list of their dealers. Good Luck!

Default Alternate local tv source

I posted some time ago about a device called Slingbox that I purchased at Circuit City (a store with policies I dont like). This device allows you to receive via the internet all of the channels you receive on your home system. If you have a laptop with a wireless card you can get your local channels without the hassle from Direct Tv. It hooks up to your cable receiver, and a wireless router. If you already have wifi in your home it is a fairly simple process - even I did it.

My experience with Direct TV has been a memorable one for me and the representatives that I dealt with. We are no longer speaking to one another at least in a civil manner.

There are no additional monthly fees from the cable system - all you do is purchase the slingbox ( about 180 lewbucks probably less now) and install the hardware at your home, and the software on your computer. My newest laptop (toshiba) has video and audio out so I can tie into the coach if I wanted to go to the trouble.

Here's a Link if you want more info:
    http://www.slingmedia.com/
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

rff105 Guest

It looks like they only list the GPS enabled home channels as a feature on the small vehicle A7 http://www.kvh.com/products/product.asp?id=125 sorry for not being clear before. I do not know if that feature is unavailable for RVs or is just not listed. If it is not, I bet it will only be a matter of time until all there products have a local channel system.

One note of caution about the Slingbox it is a great product and I use mine all the time while traveling and on my work computer but the quality is no where near even as good as a low definition TV signal. I have 488kbps upload speed at my house where the Slingbox is and 5mbps download at work and the stock ticker in CNBC is just readable at full screen mode. Sports and other fast moving TV tends to get a little choppy. The Slingbox works well for its intended use on a 15" laptop but i think most would be pretty disappointed in the performance on a 40" coach TV. Just try one out before you cancel your DTV.
    Last edited by rff105; 04-12-2008 at 06:15 AM.

Direct TV will ask you to sign a paper (Declaration of intent) confirming your account is for a RV. Giving them a current Vehicle registration and signing their form will get you local channels.
    I have not snt my form in yet, but that is the procedure they require.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Since when? I have Direct TV and they never had me sign anything.

Default Local Programming

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Direct TV will ask you to sign a paper (Declaration of intent) confirming your account is for a RV. Giving them a current Vehicle registration and signing their form will get you local channels.
    I have not snt my form in yet, but that is the procedure they require.
    Clarification; In order to recieve Local channel programming , you must sign their paper. This I assume is so not to step on local Television Broadcasting licenses.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

If someone were looking for a dish for satellite TV, currently, what would be the most economical way to go.

The parameters are: 1 Not interested in anything off of e-bay or Craigs list.
    2 Does not have to be in motion, a stationary set-up will suffice.
    3 Can be a used or re manufactured unit.
    4 It has to be compatible with Direct TV satellite service.

I'm trying to help some good folks in the neighborhood (snowbirds) who currently have to set up a dish on a tripod every time they head south. All the other idiosyncrasy's of dong this in an RV with Direct TV service are not an issue. They simply want to get away from the tripod on the ground that they currently use to a dome on the roof, in the least expensive way.

Also What about those very low profile units that are affected by dew and rain? This is going to be installed on a Dodge van, could very easily be wiped off and seemed very appeling to them. What say you.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-27-2008 at 06:29 PM.