Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Balancers

Ken....wheel balancing is critical. All wheels. Maybe the guy driving a semi does not care if his drive wheels are balanced because he is getting bounced around and usually does have to buy his own tires, but if your drives are not in balance you will notice it.

I used wheel weights originally and as the tire wears and gets some miles on it it may go out of balance. A steer that is out of balance will wear faster, unevenly and will feel lousy. A tag seems worse.

I think Balance Master, Equal, Centrimatic, etc. is definitely the way to go. Each has its advantages, but they all work to maintain tire balance as the tire wears. Wheel weights are OK, but due to the nature of balancing which does not include all rotating parts such as the hub, or drum or disc you have no assurance the balancing using wheel weights is as good as it can be. To Dale's comment, I do not know why a tire pressure sensor is affected if Equal is used. The sensors I have seen are sealed. I also have not seen any notes or prohibitions on tire pressure sensor sites to limit the use to tires without an internal balancing media.

I think we are learning a very important lesson here on POG. Don't necessarily rely on the advice of technicians, but research and verify everything.

Default Trust But Verify

Jon: Remember the words of Ronald Reagan " Trust but Verify". When it comes to bus mechanics the trust is hard to give and the verify is essential.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Reagan was a wise man. This month I have heard directly from POG members about how they were given bad advice, or worse, were taken to the cleaners with respect to either bad repairs or unnecessary repairs. I will not post names and circumstances here, but all of the costs were in the mid four figures and at least one was five figures.

The absolute worst part of the stories I have been told is that the advice and shoddy or incorrect work was by the companies whose names are on our coaches. I intend to bring this issue up at Seveirville and Pahrump. Things out there in service land are changing, and it is not good.

Ken, If you haven't done it yet we can mount those wheel balancers at Pahrump. It will not take long and it will make a difference in your ride and tire life. You'll have a new set of stands to try while we do that.

Ken, If you haven't done it yet we can mount those wheel balancers at Pahrump. It will not take long and it will make a difference in your ride and tire life. You'll have a new set of stands to try while we do that.
    That would make for a good seminar. I would be willing to purchase a set, and be the target of the install? Heck, it's got to be easier than changing two windshields!

Ray

Jon, you got a deal, I'll bring the Balance Masters to Pahrump. Please tell me you have necessary tools/equip to remove wheels. I have some air bags that I was going to rig up to raise the bus some, like Dale J did. I can bring them if needed.

Ray, my good friend, you will be second in line.

Thanks,

Ken

At home I use a 1" impact wrench, but on the road I carry an X12. It is a little more work but it will definitely get the job done.

Did Ray say this couldn't be any more work than replacing a windshield? He can do the install on his bus himself and render a verdict.

One word of caution which Roger may wish to discuss in detail.....if you have valve stem extenders on the inner drive wheels you assume all future responsibility for what may occur. I am opposed to them but you make your own decisions regarding their compatibility with wheel balancers.

dreamchasers Guest

Jon,

Do you recommend anyone in the Knoxville area that installs Equal. I thought it would be a good test to have it installed in Tenn and test it on the ride back to Texas.

Hector

Jon,

I got rid of those valve extenders a long time ago.

Hector,

I go to a tire supply wholesaler and buy Equal and since I mount my own tires I install it myself. There are several truck tire places that will likely do the install. I can point you towards them.

Ken,

Wise decision.

Default Centramatics

Stopped at Jacksonville Prevost on our way to Sevierville for new tires. Had my previously purchased Centramatics installed on the steer and tag. Although I also have a set for the drive I did not put them on at this time. The techs proved to me that wheel weights will not balance bus tires and wheels. It is a waste of time and money to use the traditional clip on or stick on weights. Why you ask ! It was hard to believe. They used chaulk and scribed a line on both tires and wheels on the front of an XL and took it for a drive. After several agressive stops they returned to the shop and the lines on both wheels no longer lined up with the tires. The tires rotated on the wheels. For this reason, alternative balancing methods must be considered.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty