Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Master Caution

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I thought that there was an internal spring to keep sufficient tension until air comes up. We have never thrown a belt and those things weren't even working for the ride from Nashville to Chi. the day I picked it up.

No spring on the series 60 setup Joe.

Wink Same same

All,

When leaving Kerrville last year, I could not get up the hills to the East. My temp guage went high. I pulled off and found the belt to the fan off.....Now...I run my air compressor for about 2 minutes before I try to start and it tightens up the belts...BEFORE..I start...that is now part of my start up routine...I have a Country Coach and have an air compressor swith above the driver...

Joe, You have OTR and your coach probably has the brass belt tensioner cylinders. Those were made to provide a degree of spring tension even when the aux air had zero pressure. Your air valve up over the center of the door opening applies air pressure to maintain tension, but when you turn the valve to release belt tension, it applies pressure to retract the cylinder so you do not have to fight against that spring to change a belt. I actually like that system much better than the present one.

The newer coaches with the little donut sized bellows allow the belts to go completely slack until aux air pressure is built up.

My 93 coach with 8V92 had only manual screw-type adjusters. No air whatsoever.

Ray,

If you did not have OTR on your coach it is highly probable you did not have the air belt tensioners. I cannot speak about all the coaches out there today with the small bellows, but on my coach with OTR all belts use the bellows tensioners with the exception of the spring tensioner on the engine (which in some cases is a jack screw).