Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What size & brand LCD flat panel?

In my previous bus, the TV up front had been replaced with a flat screen. Whoever did the switch simply built a plywood mount (basically an L bracket), that the TV mounted to directly with screws through the back.

The bottom piece of plywood, was beveled at the end, so it would slip under another piece which held it from tipping forward (if you can imagine this. otherwise I'll try to draw a picture).

The whole thing was held in place by a couple of screws, holding the base of the plywood mount in place in the cabinet. When I needed to get inside I had to remove the outside bezel (wood, 4 screws), and unscrew a couple of screws in the TV base, and pull it out straight forward.

Whole thing couldn't have cost more than $5 to make, and worked great.

Ray

dalej Guest

Ted, this is the only thing that worries me about your setup, see photo for a better look.

I really think that two angle pieces of stainless steel or aluminum would help support the bracket where the blue lines are but on the back side. It just looks like where the red line is, is where it will crack or break with the weight of the tv and bracket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, Dale, I agree that that setup had a weak point even though it is 3/4" oak. Like I said toward the end of the post, I ended up using a different mount. The one shown had the TV sticking out from the wall about 3". With the new mount the TV is flat against the cabinet. So far, So good.

Tully Guest

Ray

Am interested in the old set up you have. Having a difficult time on a visual level- can you scratch me out something.

Sounds like if put a wooden platform or L style ledge if you will on bottom outside cabinet and put a header on top grooved- I could mount the TV to plywood. I could simply slide the entire wood panel with tv attached down this grooved track. Simply slide out to right to gain entry for cables and such.

If that makes sense?

Tully

Let's see if I can do that. I'm not much of an artist, but hopefully these two pictures will illustrate it.

First image shows view from side of base. The top is a view of a simple plywood piece that is used to hold the base from tipping forward. The base unit slides on the floor of the cabinet, and wedges underneath the "lip"

base1.jpg

This image shows a front view of the base. Holes are drilled in the back to allow screws to mount into TV mount plate. Weight is supported by the vertical panel, and the floor of the cabinet.

base2.jpg

Whole thing had to cost all of $5 worth of plywood. This set pretty much flush inside the opening, with a wooden bezel (like a picture frame) around the edge.

Tully Guest

Well after many hours of doing prefab work on square tubes we got a real nice bracket which is very solid. Bought the 26 inch Sony Bravio and it is by far the best fit and picture.

Bit the bullet and installed a Sony MV900 Surround sound system. The speakers I sware are on 1 1/2 inches in size. Wired the front seating area and the whole bus shakes now watching a good hi-def dvd.

It took a lot longer to install but we took our time and tied everything
    very very nice and neat.

Will try and get pic's up. It really turned out so nice.

Have the plug in so I can have my lap top show up on the 26 inch tv. Real nice option.

Tully