Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What size & brand LCD flat panel?

Judi, I too saw that Sony said don't use in an RV. If you ask a knowledgeable salesman, I think they will all tell you that virtually none are recommended for use in any application that is not stationary. When looking, I couldn't find any that said they were recommended for an RV. There may be some, but I didn't come across them.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Tully, here is a picture of the rear TV mount in our coach. I ended up using a different mount, but the frame up is what I think you are looking for. No comments on the carpentry work, I had to cut the brace down in order to get my hand back in there to hook things up. Unless you install a real small set, the new flat screen is going to stick out a bit but it's no big deal. The other picture is the front flat screen.

Ted, I feel right at home with that carpenter work. We all know that utility is more important than aesthetics. Especially when it isn't seen.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Thanks, Dale. I got the brace installed and Jan pointed out that the plug was in the upper right side of the cabinet and that no earthly being had an arm long enough and skinny enough to reach the plug. So, I grabbed the sawsall and went to work. Looks bad, works fine, but like you say, it's not seen.

I replaced my outside TV this year with a 26" Panasonic Flat Screen. There were posts on other sites several years ago regarding Plasma TV's not working at higher elevations. I do not know if Liquid crystal has the same issues.
    My Coach came with a 32" Photonics in the front and a 30" Sharp in the bedroom.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

My previous CC had a flat screen installed up front, replacing a regular TV. About 2 years into my ownership, the TV failed to turn on. Ultimately I traced it down to the power-brick, which was used. It was dead.

I spoke with Nick Hessler, and he indicated that some of the power bricks used on these flat screen TV's don't like the modified sine wave coming out of the inverters, and eventually croak.

I wasn't able to find a direct replacement, but purchased instead a 12V power supply from an electronics store. Worked fine when I sold it, but I don't know if that power supply will ultimately do the same.

Ray

Tully Guest

So we took off the wood face plate today and pulled out he old tube tv. I ended up getting the 26 inch Sony Brav. edition.

Lots of open space to work with. We are going to cut plywood to the size of the opening. Will cut and weld a metal plate to size of back of tv mounting and attach to plywood. Will us a piano hinge that will run from the top to bottom of the opening. Basically the tv will be mounted and will open and close on the hinged mount to give access to the inside of cabinet. You will pull tv from right side and will swing open. Still looking into how the door will stay shut. Idea?

Have already installed the Winegard In-Motion dome on top and going to run antenna cox- to front of cab and drill entry hole.

The fun then begins with trying to wire all this up.

The nice thing is the the storage compartments up from and above have lots of room to expand for surround sound and such. My concern? Can I put an exention style power strip to take the two recepticals to 4 or six? Is this a big issue?

Will try to keep updated and post some pic's as we get further along.

Tully

I doubt that you will have any problems installing a power strip. Another advantage of the LCD TV is that it draws less current than a tube TV.

We also have the 26" Sony Bravia installed in the front of the bus and it has worked out perfectly.

When completing your wiring, I suggest that you run a separate line from the satellite to a dedicated input on the TV. That way, you can simply use the TV remote to switch back and forth between satellite and cable/antenna. No more having to get up and select a different input from the switch box!

You can also do the same for a DVD/VCR player, as the Sony has several inputs.

Good luck with your project....

Quote Originally Posted by Tully View Post
    So we took off the wood face plate today and pulled out he old tube tv. I ended up getting the 26 inch Sony Brav. edition.

Lots of open space to work with. We are going to cut plywood to the size of the opening. Will cut and weld a metal plate to size of back of tv mounting and attach to plywood. Will us a piano hinge that will run from the top to bottom of the opening. Basically the tv will be mounted and will open and close on the hinged mount to give access to the inside of cabinet. You will pull tv from right side and will swing open. Still looking into how the door will stay shut. Idea?

Have already installed the Winegard In-Motion dome on top and going to run antenna cox- to front of cab and drill entry hole.

The fun then begins with trying to wire all this up.

The nice thing is the the storage compartments up from and above have lots of room to expand for surround sound and such. My concern? Can I put an exention style power strip to take the two recepticals to 4 or six? Is this a big issue?

Will try to keep updated and post some pic's as we get further along.

Tully
    Not sure sure about your components and exactly what you are doing, but as far as a latch goes, if you put the hinge at the top to swing the unit up for access to the back, gravity would keep it closed and a piece of velcro on the rear would hold it shut.
    Photos are always nice.

Tully Guest

Well I think my buddy is going over-kill on this. Wanting to take metal framing and out-line the box opening to make it more rigid. Then wants pre-fab his own mount and have swing out on an all metal (not wood) door. He has spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to keep the door closed. Looking at all kinds of items. Spring loaded, locking latches...

Im thinking to keep it simple with the two 2x4 blocks and get a simple bracket for $80.00 and be done with it.

Want to get this tv hung and wired. Looking like too much planning and thought is going into it.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Wellllllllllllllll.

Tully