Thread: Light Problem

Default Light Problem

I started wiring my Toad, and I noticed I have no Left Signal or Brake light. There is no voltage at the plug on the rear of the bus for the Left signal or left brake light. I checked the breakers/fuses in the panel over the engine. The 7.5 amp fuse that says Left signal and brake was blown so I changed it. It hasn't blown again. Any suggestions? Is there a relay in the circuit? The Right signal and right brake light works and the parking lights work on both sides.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale,

Go to the ECC, there's a fuse there. Also, there is a jumper on the circuit board in the rear box, change positions and see what you get. My jeep is wired direct for lights, they have their own bulb. My CC will not work the brake lights. I had to wire in a converter so the brake lights will work with the turnsignals.

I wasn't aware that there is a fuse in the ECC also. I will check that tomorrow.
    Dale & Paulette

I changed the fuse on # 310 wire which is the tow plug, but I still have nothing on left signal or left brake light.
    Dale & Paulette

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

When you say you checked the plug did you check it at the backside of it, could be a broken wire or bad connection, or did you just test where your toad cord plugs in. The brake pin is top the left turn will be the terminal to the left of top as you are looking at it from the rear.

I guess you could fuse it that way but the way you are describing how the plug is fused is weird, the brake wire is separate from the turns.

This is how I see it. Top pin is brake-red wire then to its left and right the turns-green and yellow again next two down on either side running lights-brown and black.

Is the turn and brake lights on the toad a common filimant and bulb or do you have seperate amber turn signals back there.

If I had a brake light on one side but not the other that would tell me to look to the toad. Maybe you blew that fuse when you plugged in cause something on the toad is wired wrong?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-05-2008 at 04:31 AM.

I don't know how other coaches are wired for the toad, but on my 87 I had 24V brake and tail lights on the bus and the plug wasn't wired so it would work the way I wanted it so I created my own way to get power to the plug. I assumed all buses were wired in a similar fashion, but maybe not.

I used a 24 coil octagon based relay for each function. I tied into the brake/parking/signal light circuit to power each individual relay coil.

When the light on the bus came on, the coil on the relay was energized and that closed the contacts. I brought 12V for the plug to each common terminal on the relay contacts, and on the normally open side of the contacts I connected the wires going to the toad plug. The set up was almost as simple and reliable as an anvil.

When the respective lights or signals went on the relay contacts closed sending power to the corresponding toad lights.

All this was mounted inside a small plastic box that you can get at Lowes or any electrical supply.

Dale,

Did you check the board for outbound juice to the CC mounted plug? Since the CC is all 12V, if the board is shot, you can just tie into the brake, tail and turn signals without re-inventing the wheel.

Well, I got back on my tow light problem this morning. After checking the circuit board over the engine and tracing the wires, I found corrosion on the back side of my plug causing an intermittent problem with my left turn and brake light on the tow plug. I changed the plug, cut off 1/2' of each wire and applied some electrical corrosion preventive. Problem solved. Thanks for everyone's input.
    Dale & Paulette