Thread: Nitrogen in tires

Hybrid View

Default Nitrogen in tires

Good Day All - I need a little feedback on a subject I know you must have discussed. We ( Parliament Coach) are looking at a nitrogen generator and fill system for use in our service dept. - How many of you have had nitro installed? How many would if it were more available? Based on the initial cost of equipment, and the time involved to install, it looks like we would need to charge around $250 for a complete, 8 tire service. Is this a reasonable figure? Any other input as to pros and cons would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Ken

Sorry Ken,

We will stick with "air", since its free, except for the cost of a COSTCO 150 psi compressor that we can use around the house as well as for the coach.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I know people who are currently running it in the steer tires on a big rig. It expands when it gets hot to the same degree as air and, pressures drop the same when it gets cold too.

I was drawn to the claims of hydrogen eliminating false alerts on wireless tire pressure sensors on cold mornings and I can tell you FOR SURE it does not remedy the situation.

In fact I still owe Jon and his wife a meal over it. The tires on our bus are all 2000 tire codes. I have lots of evident cracking on the outside but the inside of them are void of even the smallest of cracks that IMO blows the theory of moisture ruining them from the inside out.

Hi Ken,

Always good to see a post from a sponsor.

There was a lot of discussion about this a while back.

Here's one thread:

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...ogen#post24329

Didn't seem to generate much positive interest.

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

There is another older lengthy thread in there too

Question

Ken, will you be putting that into the rustproofing department?
    JIM

Default Nitrogen in tires

Thanks Guys -
    I appreciate the feedback - We needed to hear the " other side " of the story - The Nitro salesman has obviously been doing his job - His claims include, but are not limited to: cooler tires - longer tire life - better fuel economy - less damage to the ozone layer because...............well, you get the picture. I do have to admit that the Indy Car guys are sold on the stuff - We were setting up our display at the St Pete Grand Prix, yesterday, and every transport was carrying dozens of nitro tanks.

We look forward to seeing everyone in Tennessee.

Thanks again, Ken

No Jim - Not enough room - It's full of Rust-o-leum cans.

But thanks for asking, Ken

Also remember our atmosphere is almost 80% nitrogen already.I think that most shops do not have refigerated dryers in their compressed air system which means that they have moisture and this is the real problem.

I use Equal in my tires. I break down my own wheels. I fill my tires from the bus air system and from my shop compressor which hasn't been drained in 8 years.

I have always had the Equal in my tires bone dry when I broke down my wheels. No moisture despite I am doing it all wrong.

The nitrogen salesman is full of BS. We don't use it in plane tires except those with very high pressures and that is only because most air systems top out at 150 to 175.

Ken, invest the money in slack adjuster polish or a plastic front shield disposal bin.