Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hauling an ATV

Tully Guest

Default Hauling an ATV

Have an ATV that I wanted to take along on trips. Wanted to hook onto back of coach.

I do not want a trailer that I have to pull or wheels that touch the ground.

Anyone have any ideas or have they seen anytype of trailer that mounts direct to the hitch and sits above the ground.

Looking to simply roll up ramp onto carrier and be done with it.

Tully Lee Garrett

Go look at Peter's posts. He'll show the way.

Tully,

Now this is impressive.

Picture 23.jpg

Do a search for Smart Car.

Mike
    Last edited by MangoMike; 04-01-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Tully Guest

I do not know how to "link" but found something on Ebay.
    Item #: 320233502474. Looks like it hooks right onto hitch and looks to be very easy. Total cost with shipping $364.00. Tons of great feed-back on this. Can someone link this and get some thoughts and ideas?

Tully

I would suggest before you start planning to haul anything on the back of a coach that you consider the engineering. There are motorcycle lifts and all sorts of contraptions to carry stuff. But as others have realized and some do not want to know, our coaches have limitations.

Our hitch for example is rated at 10,000 pounds with a 1000 pound tongue weight. That means a few inches past the bumper our coach is constructed to safely handle 1000 pounds. As you get progressively further from the coach, the weight it can adequately handle diminishes.

If the CG of the ATV is 24" in from the widest point, then it is likely the amount of weight cantilevered at that point that can be safely handled might be 125 pounds (just a guess because I have no idea where the 1000 pound limit is relative to the bumper). We do know that excessive weight on the hitch has the potential to create stress damage often visible at the rear cap.

Tully Guest

That is good information. Will look into this matter further.

Tully

I should have mentioned that the way Peter has engineered his support he is transferring the loads so the longitudinal trusses are carrying the load in tension and the hitch area is in compression (more or less) if I am interpreting what he has done properly. Peter? Did I read your design properly?

Petervs Guest

Yes Jon, you are correct, as you almost always are!

Quote Originally Posted by Tully View Post
    I do not know how to "link" but found something on Ebay.
    Item #: 320233502474. Looks like it hooks right onto hitch and looks to be very easy. Total cost with shipping $364.00. Tons of great feed-back on this. Can someone link this and get some thoughts and ideas?

Tully
    Here you go, Tully. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1

IMO, I don't think I would attach something like this to the back of my bus to haul, anything........ but that is just me!

Gary S.

Tully Guest

Any other ideas on what I could use to carry (1) ATV? Just was never good at back up with a trailer.

Tuly