Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refrigerator Repair

Petervs Guest

Bruce,

My refrigerator failure mode was that it ran, but did not get cool inside. We keep a thermometer inside both ref and freezer sections so we can keep track of how well it is working.

Anyway, the coils behind the freezer inside panel would freeze solid with ice, then it would stop keeping food cold. I removed the inside back panel and defrosted the coils, then it would work fine for a week or so. But that was obviously a pain to live with, but it kept us on the road. A hair blow dryer works great for defrosting by the way! Marathon wanted $$$ and they would not guarantee anything.

A local guy who knew what he was doing solved it in 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by DANSS View Post
    My Ref did same thing so now every 6 months I slide it out and my local repairman puts freon in and away we go fo another 6 months. Good Luck
    If the Marathon folks only want to handle this out of the coach then I will bring in a skilled Amana repair man first, give a shot and then if it doesn't make steam replace it.

Thanks guys good ideas.

Default ugggh

Changing out a refrigerator has to be a dreaded day for the coach owner, especially one of the big 350 pound double door boyz. First you need two to three gents that are a strong as bull oxen while at the same time are as graceful as ballerenas....that's a tall order outta the gate. Next you need the windshield guy to pull the windscreen. Next you need a scissor lift or a fork lift for the actual units. Should you have carpets, they will need to be covered with plastic, heavy plastic because the old beast WILL LEAK something, usually a variant of rusty looking water. Should you have tile or marble you will need something to balance the load....maybe a pair of 2 X 6's cut to length for the dolly to roll on, unless the sound of plink plink plink dosen't cause concern. Then comes the transition from the dolly to the selected lift outside of the windshield without damaging anything.....now reverse the entire sequence. I have seen this done but once, it was not a pretty sight.
    We have noticed with both rental and personal properties that the life span for most major appliances appears now to be about 10 years....tops. Sure, repairs are possible but the parts are costly and usually need to be ordered.
    Topping off with R-22 every six months means a leak and it will get worse, sooner or later it will need to be repaired or replaced.
    My unit is fast closing on ten years of age and I know that, unless I sell or trade up, I am looking at a change out in the not too distant future. My plan it to change to component units, Sub-Zero comes to mind. It's like comparing an old console stereo to component stereo, one can chage out and upgrade parts without exchanging the entire unit. They come in an array of sizes and shapes and yes, they are a bit expensive, but if you plan on keepin your coach it is probably a sound investment.

John

John,

I wouldn't be too quick to cast aside that old refrigerator. Down here in TN we have seen them last for decades on our porch.

If you analyze a typical refrigerator you will find there is a limited number of likely failure points.

You can develop a leak. Leaks can be repaired or the offending component can be replaced. Refrigerator parts, espcially 10 year old refrigerator parts are readily available. You can have the fans fail (easily replaceable), the circuit board (also replaceable) or the compressor. The compressor is likely to last the life of the refrigerator unless you have a leak and the system goes down to zero pressure and moisture gets into the system. The compressor is hermetically sealed and the motor and internals run in oil. There is very little that can go wrong with the compressor.

Virtually all refrigerators in our coaches except the amonia ones use 134A.

As to going out the windshield it is not a big deal. A windsield is a 10 minute removal and a 35 minute replacement. Lining the path and dash with shipping blankets offers good protection and removing doors and all removable components greatly reduces the weight. It still takes a bunch of guys and the required cold beer to remove the refrigerator, but I view that as a last resort. In my coach I would have to remove the passenger side seat and sofa to insure I had plenty of room so the windshield is the easy part, it is the removal of all the interior stuff that is the PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by flyu2there View Post
    Changing out a refrigerator has to be a dreaded day for the coach owner, especially one of the big 350 pound double door boyz. First you need two to three gents that are a strong as bull oxen while at the same time are as graceful as ballerenas....that's a tall order outta the gate. Next you need the windshield guy to pull the windscreen. Next you need a scissor lift or a fork lift for the actual units. Should you have carpets, they will need to be covered with plastic, heavy plastic because the old beast WILL LEAK something, usually a variant of rusty looking water. Should you have tile or marble you will need something to balance the load....maybe a pair of 2 X 6's cut to length for the dolly to roll on, unless the sound of plink plink plink dosen't cause concern. Then comes the transition from the dolly to the selected lift outside of the windshield without damaging anything.....now reverse the entire sequence. I have seen this done but once, it was not a pretty sight.
    We have noticed with both rental and personal properties that the life span for most major appliances appears now to be about 10 years....tops. Sure, repairs are possible but the parts are costly and usually need to be ordered.
    Topping off with R-22 every six months means a leak and it will get worse, sooner or later it will need to be repaired or replaced.
    My unit is fast closing on ten years of age and I know that, unless I sell or trade up, I am looking at a change out in the not too distant future. My plan it to change to component units, Sub-Zero comes to mind. It's like comparing an old console stereo to component stereo, one can chage out and upgrade parts without exchanging the entire unit. They come in an array of sizes and shapes and yes, they are a bit expensive, but if you plan on keepin your coach it is probably a sound investment.

John
    I agree Jon, this is not what I had hoped for just after I had the interior done over, floors, ceiling etc. I have soft cork floors and they do not like too much weight on them.

I do however think that it might be a simple fix, as the unit really did work great in the beginning. I was thinking about being prepared to replace a few
    items just in case. have the repairman bring along a few of the most likely problem parts and replace a few of them, and this way I can get ahead of the power curve if we are lucky enough to find the problem. Things like Jon mentioned. Circuit boards, defrost cycle thermostat stuff like this. The frig looks great, plenty large and will give this a try first. Through a few $100 at the problem and cross my fingers.

Jon,

You are right about the 134, I was typing way too fast. You are also correct on the availability of parts.....for now. I still contend that the parts can be very expensive and it many cases the ends do not justify the means....ain't worth repairing the beast.

What I witnessed was the removal of a "newer" refer from an XLII, that is one huge windscreen, at Beaudry in Tucson. I guess the could have removed the doors, but they didn't. They muscled it down the isle and muscled it thru the window opening onto a scissor lift.

I still contend that the component units would make excellent replacements....Now for that old fridge on the porch in Tenn....sure you haven't cut a hole in the top of it and use it as a smoker for possum meat??

John

Bruce, if your refrigerator installation is like mine it has involved the partial disassembly of the refrigerator to paint exposed surfaces in a color to exactly match the interior. The face of the refrigerator has panels to match the surfaces of the cabinetry. The refrigerator truly looks like the coach was built around it.

So if you have to replace it you have the labor to remove the old one. In my case I have to remove the DR table, the sofa and the co-pilot seat and the windshield, plus protect all the surfaces. I cannot see the exercise requiring less than four people.

Then the new refrigerator needs all the refinishing to match what was removed. If it is not finished like the one it replaces it stands out. Like a sore thumb.

Getting one back in place is slightly harder than removing one so my best guess is that in addition to the purchase price of a new refrigerator, you are faced with at least four hours of disassembly and reassembly and the time to move it in and out the windshield. I'll bet a day is eaten up by all that has to be done. Three or four guys working a day at even $50 an hour plus the other costs makes a new refrigerator a cost in excess of $2000. It is worth gambling a lot of money to try to make the existing one work right when it is looked at in that context.

Sounds like we should have POG mini-rallies in Lowe's or Home Depot Parking Lots when refrigorator replacements are needed.

Miles & Laura Circo
    2004 Country Coach XL II 45' D/S

Bruce,

Jon is probably right however you really need to set some limits on the repairs as they close on the cost a a new one. Point in case, I have a Robert Bosch Dishwasher that died. I didn't want to fool with it so I called their local repair guy........ Control failure, part cost $375.00. labor 125.00, service call 50.00, wait time, two weeks. New Bosch Dishwasher 795.00, install free, wait time zero. Guess thats called a value judgement...

John

Default Make Plans & Take Control = Be There!

Bruce, the refrigerator removal can be likened to having your bus towed.

The end result is determined by how knowledgeable and caring the technicians and you will be for the process.

If mistakes are made there are sure to be, "oops, I'm sooooo sorry, I was trying to be sooo careful", and it's YOU that has to live with it! afterwards!

Take your time and remain in control. Get protective materials for nearby surfaces and be responsible for them yourself. If the unexpected circumstance should arise mid stream, stop everything until you come up with the correct solution. Don't just proceed and say "oh well".

Go to your favorite building center and purchase a roll of underlayment material used under such as "Pergo laminate flooring". It is clean soft and should not slide around. Over that cut 1/2" thick panels to fit the area where you will be working. They will prevent gouging and denting. (save the panels for future needs)

Choose the service personnel carefully, Meet with them ahead of time to see if you approve, or if there is a personality conflict before you start the job.
    You might have him make a bogus call at your house just for a test. If you don't like the guy at the door, don't be afraid to send him away!

Many refrigerators are changed out only for the whimsical desire to change the "look" if you will of the kitchen. You now want to preserve that look, so it is paramount to fix what you have, and it is possible. Even if the repair is expensive it is worth achieving your desired result. "preserving the look".
    The repair should not be looked at as a band aid, but as reconditioning to original condition!

Take for example, you purchase a new refer and after a short time and under warranty it needs any of the parts mentioned in the previous posts, the manufacturer would authorize repair and replacement of those parts and it would be done right there in your home.
    Case closed!