Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refrigerator Repair

Default Refrigerator Repair

My frig is not staying cold. It worked great when I left the factory back in Coburg. It is original equipment, Amana Side by Side. Looks brand new. When I tested it in Coburg it made ice, was cold, worked great. Now it does not make ice and will not stay cold.

I have asked the marathon folks to examine this and repair. I have asked to have the coils cleaned, condenser, and check the defrost setting before any additional effort is made to fix the unit. It still has water in the door and power and is a little cool, just a little.

The question here is two fold: To work on the frig the folks at marathon said they would need to remove it from the coach. What has your experience been with this type of situation. How much can be done while it is in the coach. I am at a disadvantage as I am 220 miles away and cannot make this inspection myself.

I was under the impression that most work including refrigerant could be done onboard.

PS. This frig is one of those Amana units that had the dark glass front on them and ice and water in the door. I guess it is a standard unit. If I have to replace it, what have you guys done here, what choices have you made?

Thanks
    Last edited by 0533; 03-29-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Petervs Guest

Marathon is good at converting coaches but not very good at house refrigerator repairs. Personal experience here.

Find a skilled home appliance repair guy with Amana experience in the yellow pages. He will come out and it will not require removing the unit from the bus, perhaps not even moving it out of the spot it is in.

Our problem was a failed defrost timer control, which is located behind the lower grill. $65 was all it took along with the repairman's knowledge of where to look.

I hear this is a common problem. Good luck.

Bruce
    I had the same problem. I have an XLII so my coach is different. My refrigerator decided to expire 3 days before Branson. I was able to pull mine out so a repairman could look at it and diagnosed a compressor and he wasn't going to guarantee the repair. So I decided to replace the unit. Since my coach is an XLII, I was able to replace the unit without removing the windshield by buying a counter depth refrig.and removing the refrigerator doors and carefully walking it out thru the door. Finding the refrigerator with the right dimensions was something else. My understanding is removing the windshield (I'm sure Jon and other POGGERS can fill you in) is not a big deal on your coach. Bottom line if it can be repaired in the coach and you feel comfortable with the repair do it, if not replace the unit, it will give you peace of mind in the future.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

In the coach repairs are easy. Liberty doesn't make it as easy as it could be because they mount the refrigerator on a 3" high platform, but the first time I needed to do a repair I built a 3" high platform with carpet on the bottom so I could roll the refrigerator onto it and slide it where I could get access to both the front and rear.

If the refrigerator just sits on the coach floor then removal should be very easy.

I do have to remove my dining table from the wall because that is where I slide the refrigerator so I can get all the way around it.

I do not know if the XLII windshield is as easy to remove as the XL, but that is likely how the big stuff is brought into the coach

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    In the coach repairs are easy. Liberty doesn't make it as easy as it could be because they mount the refrigerator on a 3" high platform, but the first time I needed to do a repair I built a 3" high platform with carpet on the bottom so I could roll the refrigerator onto it and slide it where I could get access to both the front and rear.

If the refrigerator just sits on the coach floor then removal should be very easy.

I do have to remove my dining table from the wall because that is where I slide the refrigerator so I can get all the way around it.

I do not know if the XLII windshield is as easy to remove as the XL, but that is likely how the big stuff is brought into the coach
    Hello Jon,

Jon your like Ask Jeeves, you've done these sorts of repairs 10 times each. Thanks again in advance.

So you are saying that most of the work should be able to be done in the coach? How about adding refrigerant? Also are you saying that some equipment needed to repair the frig needs to come in through the windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by rickdesilva View Post
    Bruce
    I had the same problem. I have an XLII so my coach is different. My refrigerator decided to expire 3 days before Branson. I was able to pull mine out so a repairman could look at it and diagnosed a compressor and he wasn't going to guarantee the repair. So I decided to replace the unit. Since my coach is an XLII, I was able to replace the unit without removing the windshield by buying a counter depth refrig.and removing the refrigerator doors and carefully walking it out thru the door. Finding the refrigerator with the right dimensions was something else. My understanding is removing the windshield (I'm sure Jon and other POGGERS can fill you in) is not a big deal on your coach. Bottom line if it can be repaired in the coach and you feel comfortable with the repair do it, if not replace the unit, it will give you peace of mind in the future.
    Hi Rick,

I am coming to the conclusion that if I let Marathon take this unit out to repair it, it will stay out and become someones beer and wine frig, as I will just replace it. Question is what brand and size. I think they are 22/25 Cubic feet?? Don't no the actual dimension for the space, HxDxW etc. will ask marathon.

I once had a large trawler with a frig and a freezer below decks. the boatyard wanted some large some of money to remove it, so I rented a saws all and tore into it. It was quick, doors off and in a few small pieces and in the dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Petervs View Post
    Marathon is good at converting coaches but not very good at house refrigerator repairs. Personal experience here.

Find a skilled home appliance repair guy with Amana experience in the yellow pages. He will come out and it will not require removing the unit from the bus, perhaps not even moving it out of the spot it is in.

Our problem was a failed defrost timer control, which is located behind the lower grill. $65 was all it took along with the repairman's knowledge of where to look.

I hear this is a common problem. Good luck.
    Hi Peter,

Jon mentioned this possibility as well. I like your thought here. One clue for me was the fact that it stopped making ice right away and seemed to act like it was in the defrost mode. I'll check into this as well.

Thanks .

Arrow

Bruce, I think Jon and Peter have the right approach to this situation.

Try to repair it first, and then replace it. Look at it as in the home. How many times have you had your home refrigerator repaired, where it had to be removed. Probably never. The "thing" is to find a competent repair guy, and he should be able to take care of any repair. The decision for you will be what is a justifiable cost.

IMHO if the refrig. goes out it should not come back.

I feel that a repair makes it almost as good as new. Some reffers fail in 6 mos. of new, so even with them you are gambling.

The fit and finish in your prize toy are important, and you haven't enjoyed your new toy enough yet to have to leave it at some shop to have a new one installed to perfection. Fix it first while exploring your options.

An honest repair woman would tell you if she thought it was worth fixing. Do this all on your own, don't ask your wife. That would complicate things too much and prolong any decision.

Bruce
    when mine died, I just googled the refrig. that was in there and got the dimensions off the web and started a search based on the old unit (it was a Jenn Air). My problem was, no one had anything in stock that I could immediately purchase and install that was as small as the old unit. I ended up with a GE unit that was pretty close. We had to sacrifice the co-ordinated paneling for Stainless Steel but I made it fit...nothing a hammer couldn't fix. But if I had the time I'm sure I could have ordered an almost identical unit and probably used the panels etc. So if time is on your side and you determine that you want to replace it, its a big inconvenience but not the end of the world.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Default Ref. repair

My Ref did same thing so now every 6 months I slide it out and my local repairman puts freon in and away we go fo another 6 months. Good Luck
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer