Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upper Window Glass Tinting/Paint

Petervs Guest

Personally I like the glass up there. It is easier to keep clean than a painted surface. And I have noticed I get a lot of dead bugs up there. The glass you can scrub on hard and not risk scratches, whereas if it was painted you would have to be very careful scrubbing.

I would think a spray paint can from the inside would be pretty easy to do. If you only need to do it once every 10 years it seems like it is not worth making a huge project out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    I have not heard of anyone doing that but it could be done. I would think that if you really wanted to go that way a good body shop could weld or rivet in some panels so you could remove the rubber seals.

You could get the fiberglass cap put on also. I would think that some paint for the glass would be the way to go.
    I'll bring a can of paint to the Tn. rally and give it try. I still think that there is a huge amount of stuff up there. I wish a could get some pics over, put don't have the coach now. There is much to take apart from inside to get to everything. I think I will give it try anyway. Also the paint looks like it is peeling and may need to be removed first. The window should come out to do this correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Petervs View Post
    Personally I like the glass up there. It is easier to keep clean than a painted surface. And I have noticed I get a lot of dead bugs up there. The glass you can scrub on hard and not risk scratches, whereas if it was painted you would have to be very careful scrubbing.

I would think a spray paint can from the inside would be pretty easy to do. If you only need to do it once every 10 years it seems like it is not worth making a huge project out of it.
    Good thoughts, I did find myself scrubbing hard while on my most recent trip.

Lightbulb Three Things:

Bruce, here are three random ideas for you to think about for solutions to your situation.
    I don't know for sure if any will work, so you decide.

First, most bugs are acidic in makeup, therefore to remove/neutralize them.
    Make up a spray bottle solution of baking soda and water, and spray onto the bug covered area and let sit for a while. Rinse thoroughly with a soft brush, or similar tool while flooding with water.

If you remove your defective window panels for refinishing; Remove the existing paint, and apply the darkest auto window tinting vinyl on the interior surface before replacing the glass.

Or using the same material, and leaving the glass in place apply the film to the outside and trim around by the gasket edge for a perfect fit.

Similar to above but with a different material.
    Obtain from a sign shop pieces of vinyl sign material (the color of your choice ) and cut to the size you need and properly apply them to the glass.
    I think this would be the best solution and that with proper installation that the panels would last a very long time.
    This would be similar to the vinyl pin striping and window decals/signs that bond very well to the parent surface over time. (proper installation is the key)
    This seems so easy and cheap that you can hardly pass up trying it. If it fails proceed to the next level of difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    Bruce, here are three random ideas for you to think about for solutions to your situation.
    I don't know for sure if any will work, so you decide.

First, most bugs are acidic in makeup, therefore to remove/neutralize them.
    Make up a spray bottle solution of baking soda and water, and spray onto the bug covered area and let sit for a while. Rinse thoroughly with a soft brush, or similar tool while flooding with water.

If you remove your defective window panels for refinishing; Remove the existing paint, and apply the darkest auto window tinting vinyl on the interior surface before replacing the glass.

Or using the same material, and leaving the glass in place apply the film to the outside and trim around by the gasket edge for a perfect fit.

Similar to above but with a different material.
    Obtain from a sign shop pieces of vinyl sign material (the color of your choice ) and cut to the size you need and properly apply them to the glass.
    I think this would be the best solution and that with proper installation that the panels would last a very long time.
    This would be similar to the vinyl pin striping and window decals/signs that bond very well to the parent surface over time. (proper installation is the key)
    This seems so easy and cheap that you can hardly pass up trying it. If it fails proceed to the next level of difficulty.
    Hi Jim,

All good ideas. The material on the inside of the coach now is peeling away, lifting up from the glass surface from heat and time. I think that I will remove the windows, find some type of paint remover??? or solution to get all of the old material off. I like your idea of getting sign material the same color as the coach and cut it out to fit. The challenge here will be to get it ti fit, conform to the shape of the windows. I might actually try and test some paints that match the coach colors first.

I was thinking of a lighted sign that rotated around with various city names on it. might recover some fuel costs this way.

Thanks for the really great ideas, i like the coach color idea best.

Thumbs up

Bruce, you could go to a vinyl sign shop. They use computerized cutting machines. give them the dimensions or a template and they will cut it for you.

I feel you could stay 1/16" away from the rubber gasket and still retain the visual effect from eye level that you had 100% coverage.

Go to the sign people and ask for some scraps to play around with, and make some tests. Any color and size pieces, just to see how it goes on for you and how close to the rubber you have to be to please you.

You will be able to remove the vinyl with a hair dryer/heat gun, and razor blade assist.

I like the programmable LED sign Idea of yours'.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    Bruce, you could go to a vinyl sign shop. They use computerized cutting machines. give them the dimensions or a template and they will cut it for you.

I feel you could stay 1/16" away from the rubber gasket and still retain the visual effect from eye level that you had 100% coverage.

Go to the sign people and ask for some scraps to play around with, and make some tests. Any color and size pieces, just to see how it goes on for you and how close to the rubber you have to be to please you.

You will be able to remove the vinyl with a hair dryer/heat gun, and razor blade assist.

I like the programmable LED sign Idea of yours'.
    I think you need a trip to Jupiter to show me how this all comes together. Your absolutely right though about the sign material. It might be the answer.

Thanks Jim.

Petervs Guest

If you are going to put vinyl on the glass, then is should be a sign stating where you are going. This is a bus, right?
    And the sign should say "POG- Pahrump ", or whatever!