Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexan

Default Lexan

Country Coach obviously did a deal with Coach Armor in the mid 90's to install their Lexan shields on most conversions. Not sure how long it lasted but if my memory serves me, Coach Armor quit making it's appearance about 2001 on CC's. Now the business is gone, finished, closed......

So here's the question, how does one polish up the lexan? Brushes, bugs, road debris, rocks and the like all take their collective tolls on the plastic shield. The easiest fix is to remove the beast but, save the fact that it a regal pain in the rear to clean, it does a respectable job of protecting the front end of the bus.

I started yesterday with a McGuires product that claims to polish out small imperfections in the plastic....that doesn't work. I then moved to 3M's Finesse-It which removes swirl marks and sanding scuffs from 2000 grit sandpaper...that may work however I would watch the balance of my youth go away before that project would ever be completed. Finally, I went to the local Harley store where their paint guy recommended a potion of white rouge, mineral oil and distilled water....I bought a pint and am about to tackle the project again. Diamond sponge pad, lo speed buffer and water to mist the compound.

Has anyone else ever tried to polish this stuff and, most importantly, to what degree of success?

Thanks,

John

John, this is without question the best product for polishing Lexan. If you have scratches, start with the #3, using a buffing machine with a foam pad. Then, same procedure using #2 and finish with a terry cloth towel and the #1. The #3 will also remove scratches from stainless. Lots of places sell the stuff, eBay might be worth looking at. Takes a little work but you can get the Lexan looking like new.

http://detailing4less.com/novus-plas...FRcasgoddUzrQg

Also, John, this company has replacement parts for the old Coach Armor bug shields. I replaced several of the stainless edge pieces on my Country Coach before I sold it. This is a good outfit to do business with, very helpful.
    http://www.summit-products.com/

John, There should be another post on the forum about this subject. Jim Keller polished the Lexan on his 99 CC, and it looked like new. I think he posted what he used. I am pretty sure it was the Novus Scratch remover products. You can get the best deal on eBay.
    Last edited by dale farley; 03-28-2008 at 03:19 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Let me see if I understand this concept.....

You put a plastic shield on the front of the coach that you have to go through a multi step polishing process to keep it looking good, so you don't have to go through a multi step polishing process to keep the stainless looking good.

Did I get that right?

I do not want to ever hear any crap from anybody about polishing slack adjusters.

Jon,

Well your sort of right............

You put plastic on the front of the bus so that the Gomer driving the un-tarped bob-tail gravel hauler in the hammer lane at 80 doesn't share his spewing gravel with the front of your bus. It's also a good defense for stray high speed opposing direction hubcaps and moderately sized alligators (truck trailer treads from quality re-caps). I know, it doesn't do a thing for your windshield, but a good percentage of that road debris hits above the bumper and below the windscreen. The theory is that it keeps the front of the bus from looking like a corrogated steel cow shed after a nasty hail storm, Lexan is strong and fairly flexible..........but............

It is a pain to clean and polish, BTW the white rouge works, and the company that manufactured the product has long since tanked however, I think it is a decent product, especially for the metal fronted Prevost's. I suspect that the company failed with the advent of the 3M film on plastic coaches. Actually I never understood why one would install a piece of plastic over a piece of plastic (other than to prevent paint chips) ....kinda like putting perfume on a pig.

John

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The front on ours is LOADED with road dings and dents.

That Lexon will prevent that.

I priced that front stainless piece below the windshield and the two radius pieces at the front corners from Prevost Elgin and they were only 600 bucks plus 100 for the rivets.

Harry said not to spend the money they could be repaired so if I ever remove them I will ship them to Cal. and let him do his magic.

Then I think I would install Lexon if available.

I wonder if I could get a set of plastic shields to protect my highly polished slack adjusters?

Dings in the front of the bus are beauty marks. Signs of experience. I remember when my folks would leave the clear plastic covers on the seats of the new car, and when the car was traded the new owners were the ones to enjoy the brand new seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I wonder if I could get a set of plastic shields to protect my highly polished slack adjusters?

Dings in the front of the bus are beauty marks. Signs of experience. I remember when my folks would leave the clear plastic covers on the seats of the new car, and when the car was traded the new owners were the ones to enjoy the brand new seats.
    Ahhhhhh....Fingerhut Industries, remember them well. Only trouble was that when the"new owner" removed the plastic, the little stars embedded in the plastic film had photographed onto the seats.....

As for the slack adjusteds, hows about a rattle can full of rubberized undercoating....that will keep em nice......under the goo

John

I can see you are going to be a problem John. Nobody puts goo on my slack adjusters. Nobody.

Actually Joe, the cost to remove the dings and have a highly polished nose on the coach is a dollar a rivet and a whole bunch of time tapping out the dents, sanding, and doing a final polish. Harry is correct. It is no big deal fixing the dings. Save it until you are ready for new paint because any dings that are in the painted area will require repainting after the repair.