Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning curve on the Detroit Diesel?

dalej Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Orren Zook View Post
    There is also a coolant cleaner available that will dissolve scale, and corrosion while removing the silicate gel. Depending on the condition of the radiator this would be an inexpensive solution.
    Orren, can you give me a brand and the amount needed for a bus system.

You can use/buy your water filters with a pre-charge built in to maintain the levels or add a liquid concentrate. The test kit should give you the SCAs, freeze point, nitrite and molybdate. There is also a coolant cleaner available that will dissolve scale, and corrosion while removing the silicate gel. Depending on the condition of the radiator this would be an inexpensive solution.
    So, I'd like to learn a little more about this too. I've been trying to ascertain from previous owner and Marathon/Prevost in Dallas about which coolant and transmission fluids were used in my coach.

I found out that Marathon never changed coolant, simply checked levels, PH etc and topped-off as necessary. Last check was 1/2007, about 5000 miles ago. Evidently I have the standard green 50/50 mix in here, so it needs to be monitored.

Prevost Dallas indicated that tranny fluid was 15W40 oil. That surprised me, and was last changed on 12/04. I can only guess the mileage at that point, but I've got about 75,000 now.

SO, where does one get the coolant test strips? If you use the filters with pre-charge, do you need to be concerned about over-charging? Or, do you only change when charge is low?

I've got Pahrum scheduled in May. That's gonna be less than 1000 miles to and back. Should I be concerned and get things serviced now to start a new baseline? I had assumed I would have everything serviced after Pahrump.

Ray

I had been planning on having a full service after the trip to Pahrump.

Orren Zook Guest

Ray,

Here's a link with some info from a small muni bus fleet: http://www.ecfilter.com/story3.html

I have more detailed data at work and will post it in the morning, but you'll get the idea from this page.

Dale,

I'll get the same for you in the AM - it is available from Baldwin in Kearney and other HD suppliers

dalej Guest

Orren, I was reading at the link above, they seem to do a really great job, what do you think? Funny thing, I was reading it a couple of hours before you posted it and was wondering what you thought of it. Do you have those units on hand? and for a system our size, would it take two? These bus's have a lot of fluid in them.

Orren Zook Guest

Dale,

We've got a couple of charter bus and school bus fleets that are on this type of program. I think that filters and SCAs work when you have a good maintenance program and do the prescribed testing to be sure you are within tolerances.

I'll call you tomorrow, I have these here or can drop ship from Kearney

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Prevost Dallas indicated that tranny fluid was 15W40 oil. That surprised me, and was last changed on 12/04. I can only guess the mileage at that point, but I've got about 75,000 now.

SO, where does one get the coolant test strips? If you use the filters with pre-charge, do you need to be concerned about over-charging? Or, do you only change when charge is low?
    Williams DDA used Castrol Trans-Synd when they serviced my transmission, I'm not sure of the viscosity but believe this product is an Allison dealer exclusive. I think most any HD filter supply house should have the test strips or test kits available.

HD filter supply house
    Oren, parden my ignorance, but what is a HD filter supply house?

I do have a Detroit Diesel about 50 miles away (near Prevost in Mira Loma)

Ray

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Oren, parden my ignorance, but what is a HD filter supply house?

I do have a Detroit Diesel about 50 miles away (near Prevost in Mira Loma)

Ray

sorry my bad, it's: heavy duty

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Test Kit Sources

Orren,

Can you supply a source(s) for purchase of the coolant test kits?

Thanks

dalej Guest

Orren, maybe bring some test strips and give who ever is interested in a antifreeze testing seminar.

The last time I bought a test strip it was around 1.50, so let us know how much they are.