Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Koni Shocks/Airbag Replacement

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 0533 View Post
    Is there any performance or field reports on the three shocks, Monroe, Gabriel and Koni.
    I'll have to get this information for you in the morning. Koni, as I mentioned has a lifetime warranty, Gabriel and Monroe offer 250,000 miles on their gas shocks and 100,000 miles on their heavy duty lines. I don't know that it would be cost effective to opt for the gas shocks over conventional ones unless you were going to really put some miles on your coach. You would have the option to adjust the dampening for a different ride with any of the gas shocks and it might be a nice suspension upgrade.

Bruce, I replaced mine last year on my 93 Marathon just because I wasn't sure how old they were. I called Marathon and they wanted $234 each. I called Prevost and bought the shocks for less than $37 each. None of my old ones were leaking, and I am not sure I really saw any significant difference in the ride after the replacement of all of them. I will wait until I see a problem or leakage before I change shocks again.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Bruce, I replaced mine last year on my 93 Marathon just because I wasn't sure how old they were. I called Marathon and they wanted $234 each. I called Prevost and bought the shocks for less than $37 each. None of my old ones were leaking, and I am not sure I really saw any significant difference in the ride after the replacement of all of them. I will wait until I see a problem or leakage before I change shocks again.
    Hi Dale, What type of shocks did you install. I have heard that the Koni really make a difference. I am looking for a Silver bullet I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Orren Zook View Post
    I'll have to get this information for you in the morning. Koni, as I mentioned has a lifetime warranty, Gabriel and Monroe offer 250,000 miles on their gas shocks and 100,000 miles on their heavy duty lines. I don't know that it would be cost effective to opt for the gas shocks over conventional ones unless you were going to really put some miles on your coach. You would have the option to adjust the dampening for a different ride with any of the gas shocks and it might be a nice suspension upgrade.
    Good morning Orren,

I found that on some roads, especially when there were large uneven stretches that the front end would rise and fall too many times on the shocks and bags for my taste. I would prefer to be able to adjust this if possible. It sounds like the gas shocks might help in the situation?

dalej Guest

I ordered all the parts from Prevost, give them the last four of your vin # and they send you what you need.

Bruce, I really don't remember what brand of shocks I used. They were the one's that Prevost sells. I would hope there would be some noticeable difference in the performance of the standard shock and the high-end gas shocks.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Bruce, I really don't remember what brand of shocks I used. They were the one's that Prevost sells. I would hope there would be some noticeable difference in the performance of the standard shock and the high-end gas shocks.
    I will report back. I have decided to go ahead with the Koni's and see what they can offer. I'll ask the Prevost car folks to recommend a setting as well for each.

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    I ordered all the parts from Prevost, give them the last four of your vin # and they send you what you need.
    Hi Dale,

When I think about ordering the parts from Prevost I then think about installing them, and two things come to mind, skill and safety. I am not sure that I have the skill, and am sure that if I did the install there would pictures of me on the POG site looking like the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard Of Oz, with only my feet sticking out from under the bus that squashed me like a grape.

One of the problems you might be experiencing Bruce is related more to front end weight and that affects your air bags more than your shocks.

To give you an example, my front will rise when the air bags reach about 100 to 105 PSI.

I know some early coaches that had batteries and generators located near the front, marble floors, and other heavy weight on the front axle requiring as much as 120 PSI to raise the front. There are some coaches whose front is so heavy that when leveling in a campground the owner has to lift the tag in order to get the maximum extention on the front air bags. Once they are fully inflated then the tag can be lowered.

That means that the force to compress the air bag and the resultant rebound is greater than lightly loaded air springs. A shock is calibrated to dampen a certain force or rebound. It may be if you air bags have considerable pressure you may wish to consider the dual front shock set up some coaches once had. However, I think you have IFS and I do not know whether your coach would be set up to accomodate that change, or if you have to have higher air spring pressures because your axle weight may already have components sized to deal with the loads.

I know this is the wrong place to post, but I can't find the one about the jack stands. Jon, I received the super fantastic jack stands today!!!! how cool. the color is terrific and the height is spot on. Since the above posts are dealing with replacing air bags, everyone should have a set of these stands. Please don't send any money for the overage, rather, use it for some refreshments at your upcoming get together. signed, A VERY HAPPY JACK STAND OWNER.