Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koni Shocks/Airbag Replacement

Default Koni Shocks/Airbag Replacement

I am considering replacing my shocks. I called Prevost Car in Jacksonville Fl. to discuss the replacement.

The first part of my question is: I am considering changing out the original shocks with Koni shocks. have any of you made this transition and did it make a difference??? I do not have many actual miles on the coach, but it has been on the road for 9 years driving and sitting on these shocks. Plus the possible improvements in the Koni Shocks. Do these Koni's really make a difference??

Second part: If I do replace the shocks, why not the Air Bags as I will have all drive wheels off. Have there been any improvements in Airbags in 9 or 10 years??? The Airbags do not leak. How do they degrade over time, elasticity etc???

Third part: While doing these upgrades and having the wheels off the coach, what else would make sense to inspect and upgrade if this were your coach.

I have a need for speed and good handling and figured that if I started fresh I would be ahead of the power curve. Am I on the right track.

Thanks,

Bruce

The Prevost position on air bag replacement as expressed by Bill Jensen at the Branson rally is replace them when they leak or fail.

My position is at 10 years, regardless of condition they will be replaced. I choose to do that because if the leak or failure is greater than the compressor can handle, your bus is parked, or on the back of a trailer. It cannot be driven with a failed air bag.

My position on shocks is if they show any signs of leakage they need to come off. These shocks are not like the ones we used to have 40 or 50 years ago that became useless after a few years.

If you do intend to replace both, the timing is perfect because you access the air bag and the shocks the same way so it saves money. I haven't checked on the price of shocks, but they literally come off and go on within minutes. I would allow 15 or 20 minutes with an air gun. The air bags (8) will average an hour apiece. These times for air bags include removing wheels or the front fender liner ahead of the drive axle. So if you are taking it to a service center I would plan on no more than 12 hours labor, and around $140 per air bag. Maybe someone can post the price of shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    The Prevost position on air bag replacement as expressed by Bill Jensen at the Branson rally is replace them when they leak or fail.

My position is at 10 years, regardless of condition they will be replaced. I choose to do that because if the leak or failure is greater than the compressor can handle, your bus is parked, or on the back of a trailer. It cannot be driven with a failed air bag.

My position on shocks is if they show any signs of leakage they need to come off. These shocks are not like the ones we used to have 40 or 50 years ago that became useless after a few years.

If you do intend to replace both, the timing is perfect because you access the air bag and the shocks the same way so it saves money. I haven't checked on the price of shocks, but they literally come off and go on within minutes. I would allow 15 or 20 minutes with an air gun. The air bags (8) will average an hour apiece. These times for air bags include removing wheels or the front fender liner ahead of the drive axle. So if you are taking it to a service center I would plan on no more than 12 hours labor, and around $140 per air bag. Maybe someone can post the price of shocks.
    Is there any info on the merits of the Koni Shock's verses any other brand?? The Koni shocks cost about twice as much as standard shocks.

Also if you use the 10 year rule of thumb on air bags why not do the same with the shocks??

dalej Guest

Bruce,

It is to bad you can't come thru Nebraska, I'm in the zone, I just replaced mine (air springs/shocks). After you do one bus, you want to do another.

My air springs had a date of 95, so they were replaced before I had aquired the bus in 98. I inspected them last year and seen the date on them and thought I had better replace them. I contacted Jim Malcome, my favorite Prevost service rep. and he said that if I wasn't having trouble, just let them go.

On our last trip to Phoenix (February 6th or so) the front spring for the right drive axle started leaking around the bottom rim. I thought it might be time to do them all, so I did along with shocks.

When you buy a set of 8 springs they run around $128 and the shocks are around $40 with the grommets from Prevost.

Bruce,

I replaced our shocks, airbags, brake chambers, and rubber brake lines in January. It's a very easy job with the wheels removed. Jon's estimate of time is very close to what I experienced also. From my Prevost Invoice, replacement shocks were $39.23 and air springs were $129.90. I purchased the brake parts from a local truck parts outlet. The service chambers were about $30.00 ea, the spring brakes were $135.00 ea and the brake lines averaged about $7.00. I checked with the Prevost Service Manager in Calif regarding Konis and his advice was they're not worth the expense but they would be glad to sell them to me if I wanted them. We experienced a significant ride improvement with the new replacement shocks. So far on our trip the leveling system has been tight as a ...............

It was a fun project and I learned a lot about the bottom side. Would highly recommend you purchase a PAIR of air jacks from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool and a set of Jon's jack-stands if you haven't done so already.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
    Bruce,

I replaced our shocks, airbags, brake chambers, and rubber brake lines in January. It's a very easy job with the wheels removed. Jon's estimate of time is very close to what I experienced also. From my Prevost Invoice, replacement shocks were $39.23 and air springs were $129.90. I purchased the brake parts from a local truck parts outlet. The service chambers were about $30.00 ea, the spring brakes were $135.00 ea and the brake lines averaged about $7.00. I checked with the Prevost Service Manager in Calif regarding Konis and his advice was they're not worth the expense but they would be glad to sell them to me if I wanted them. We experienced a significant ride improvement with the new replacement shocks. So far on our trip the leveling system has been tight as a ...............

It was a fun project and I learned a lot about the bottom side. Would highly recommend you purchase a PAIR of air jacks from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool and a set of Jon's jack-stands if you haven't done so already.
    Thanks Brian. The parts look about right, the labor is the real cost on my quotes, but seems fair based on my boating experiences. I would like to enjoy a firmer more responsive ride if possible.

Orren Zook Guest

Part of the price difference is that Koni offers a lifetime replacement warranty. You can also buy adjustable gas shocks made by Monroe or Gabriel at slightly more than standard OEM shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Orren Zook View Post
    Part of the price difference is that Koni offers a lifetime replacement warranty. You can also buy adjustable gas shocks made by Monroe or Gabriel at slightly more than standard OEM shocks.
    Hello Orren,

Is there any performance or field reports on the three shocks, Monroe, Gabriel and Koni.

I should mention that air bag part numbers are different depending on the coach.

The prices we all gave are correct for the coaches we all have. A forty foot coach takes different air bags from a 45 footer. There are also different size air bags for the fronts on some 40 foot coaches. I do not know what the air bags might be for an IFS coach or an XLII or an H3.

For anybody contemplating changing their own air bags be very detailed and specific when ordering them, especially if you have an early nineties coach. Some have been modified with larger air bags than what was originally installed.

Bruce,

I just replaced the front shocks at Prevost Mira Loma and asked about the Koni shocks. They said customers could not tell any difference except for price. They recommended the Prevost shocks even though the Koni were more than twice as expensive and I was willing to have them installed.

The new Prevost shocks seem to work fine. Though I am not an expert.